Subject: Re: module loader dead code removal and cleanups v3

From: Jessica Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 15:37:04 +0100

+++ Christoph Hellwig [02/02/21 13:13 +0100]:
>Hi all,
>
>this series removes support for long term unused export types and
>cleans up various loose ends in the module loader.
>
>Changes since v2:
> - clean up klp_find_object_symbol a bit
> - remove the now unused module_assert_mutex helper
>
>Changes since v1:
> - move struct symsearch to module.c
> - rework drm to not call find_module at all
> - allow RCU-sched locking for find_module
> - keep find_module as a public API instead of module_loaded
> - update a few comments and commit logs

Thanks Christoph for cleaning up all that aged cruft, and thanks everyone
for the reviews.

I was curious about EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL_FUTURE and EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL
variants, and found that most of that stuff was introduced between
2006 - 2008. All the of the unused symbols were removed and gpl future
symbols were converted to gpl quite a long time ago, and I don't
believe these export types have been used ever since. So I
think it's safe to retire those export types now.

The patchset looks good so far. After Miroslav's comments are
addressed, I'll wait an extra day or two in case there are more
comments before queueing them onto modules-next. I can take the first
two patches as well provided the acks are there (I think patch 2 is
missing Daniel Vetter's ack from v1 of the series, but I'll add that
back in).

Thanks,

Jessica