Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 0/5] bus: Make remove callback return void

From: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:45:55 +0200

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:09:41PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 09:35:17PM +0200, Uwe Kleine-König wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > this is v4 of the final patch set for my effort to make struct
> > bus_type::remove return void.
> > 
> > The first four patches contain cleanups that make some of these
> > callbacks (more obviously) always return 0. They are acked by the
> > respective maintainers. Bjorn Helgaas explicitly asked to include the
> > pci patch (#1) into this series, so Greg taking this is fine. I assume
> > the s390 people are fine with Greg taking patches #2 to #4, too, they
> > didn't explicitly said so though.
> > 
> > The last patch actually changes the prototype and so touches quite some
> > drivers and has the potential to conflict with future developments, so I
> > consider it beneficial to put these patches into next soon. I expect
> > that it will be Greg who takes the complete series, he already confirmed
> > via irc (for v2) to look into this series.
> > 
> > The only change compared to v3 is in the fourth patch where I modified a
> > few more drivers to fix build failures. Some of them were found by build
> > bots (thanks!), some of them I found myself using a regular expression
> > search. The newly modified files are:
> > 
> >  arch/sparc/kernel/vio.c
> >  drivers/nubus/bus.c
> >  drivers/sh/superhyway/superhyway.c
> >  drivers/vlynq/vlynq.c
> >  drivers/zorro/zorro-driver.c
> >  sound/ac97/bus.c
> > 
> > Best regards
> > Uwe
> 
> Now queued up.  I can go make a git tag that people can pull from after
> 0-day is finished testing this to verify all is good, if others need it.

Ok, here's a tag that any other subsystem can pull from if they want
these changes in their tree before 5.15-rc1 is out.  I might pull it
into my char-misc-next tree as well just to keep that tree sane as it
seems to pick up new busses on a regular basis...

thanks,

greg k-h

-----------------------------------

The following changes since commit 2734d6c1b1a089fb593ef6a23d4b70903526fe0c:

  Linux 5.14-rc2 (2021-07-18 14:13:49 -0700)

are available in the Git repository at:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/driver-core.git tags/bus_remove_return_void-5.15

for you to fetch changes up to fc7a6209d5710618eb4f72a77cd81b8d694ecf89:

  bus: Make remove callback return void (2021-07-21 11:53:42 +0200)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Bus: Make remove callback return void tag

Tag for other trees/branches to pull from in order to have a stable
place to build off of if they want to add new busses for 5.15.

Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <[email-masked]>

----------------------------------------------------------------
Uwe Kleine-König (5):
      PCI: endpoint: Make struct pci_epf_driver::remove return void
      s390/cio: Make struct css_driver::remove return void
      s390/ccwgroup: Drop if with an always false condition
      s390/scm: Make struct scm_driver::remove return void
      bus: Make remove callback return void

 arch/arm/common/locomo.c                  | 3 +--
 arch/arm/common/sa1111.c                  | 4 +---
 arch/arm/mach-rpc/ecard.c                 | 4 +---
 arch/mips/sgi-ip22/ip22-gio.c             | 3 +--
 arch/parisc/kernel/drivers.c              | 5 ++---
 arch/powerpc/platforms/ps3/system-bus.c   | 3 +--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/ibmebus.c  | 3 +--
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/vio.c      | 3 +--
 arch/s390/include/asm/eadm.h              | 2 +-
 arch/sparc/kernel/vio.c                   | 4 +---
 drivers/acpi/bus.c                        | 3 +--
 drivers/amba/bus.c                        | 4 +---
 drivers/base/auxiliary.c                  | 4 +---
 drivers/base/isa.c                        | 4 +---
 drivers/base/platform.c                   | 4 +---
 drivers/bcma/main.c                       | 6 ++----
 drivers/bus/sunxi-rsb.c                   | 4 +---
 drivers/cxl/core.c                        | 3 +--
 drivers/dax/bus.c                         | 4 +---
 drivers/dma/idxd/sysfs.c                  | 4 +---
 drivers/firewire/core-device.c            | 4 +---
 drivers/firmware/arm_scmi/bus.c           | 4 +---
 drivers/firmware/google/coreboot_table.c  | 4 +---
 drivers/fpga/dfl.c                        | 4 +---
 drivers/hid/hid-core.c                    | 4 +---
 drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ishtp/bus.c     | 4 +---
 drivers/hv/vmbus_drv.c                    | 5 +----
 drivers/hwtracing/intel_th/core.c         | 4 +---
 drivers/i2c/i2c-core-base.c               | 5 +----
 drivers/i3c/master.c                      | 4 +---
 drivers/input/gameport/gameport.c         | 3 +--
 drivers/input/serio/serio.c               | 3 +--
 drivers/ipack/ipack.c                     | 4 +---
 drivers/macintosh/macio_asic.c            | 4 +---
 drivers/mcb/mcb-core.c                    | 4 +---
 drivers/media/pci/bt8xx/bttv-gpio.c       | 3 +--
 drivers/memstick/core/memstick.c          | 3 +--
 drivers/mfd/mcp-core.c                    | 3 +--
 drivers/misc/mei/bus.c                    | 4 +---
 drivers/misc/tifm_core.c                  | 3 +--
 drivers/mmc/core/bus.c                    | 4 +---
 drivers/mmc/core/sdio_bus.c               | 4 +---
 drivers/net/netdevsim/bus.c               | 3 +--
 drivers/ntb/core.c                        | 4 +---
 drivers/ntb/ntb_transport.c               | 4 +---
 drivers/nubus/bus.c                       | 6 ++----
 drivers/nvdimm/bus.c                      | 3 +--
 drivers/pci/endpoint/pci-epf-core.c       | 7 ++-----
 drivers/pci/pci-driver.c                  | 3 +--
 drivers/pcmcia/ds.c                       | 4 +---
 drivers/platform/surface/aggregator/bus.c | 4 +---
 drivers/platform/x86/wmi.c                | 4 +---
 drivers/pnp/driver.c                      | 3 +--
 drivers/rapidio/rio-driver.c              | 4 +---
 drivers/rpmsg/rpmsg_core.c                | 7 ++-----
 drivers/s390/block/scm_drv.c              | 4 +---
 drivers/s390/cio/ccwgroup.c               | 6 +-----
 drivers/s390/cio/chsc_sch.c               | 3 +--
 drivers/s390/cio/css.c                    | 7 +++----
 drivers/s390/cio/css.h                    | 2 +-
 drivers/s390/cio/device.c                 | 9 +++------
 drivers/s390/cio/eadm_sch.c               | 4 +---
 drivers/s390/cio/scm.c                    | 5 +++--
 drivers/s390/cio/vfio_ccw_drv.c           | 3 +--
 drivers/s390/crypto/ap_bus.c              | 4 +---
 drivers/scsi/scsi_debug.c                 | 3 +--
 drivers/sh/superhyway/superhyway.c        | 8 ++------
 drivers/siox/siox-core.c                  | 4 +---
 drivers/slimbus/core.c                    | 4 +---
 drivers/soc/qcom/apr.c                    | 4 +---
 drivers/spi/spi.c                         | 4 +---
 drivers/spmi/spmi.c                       | 3 +--
 drivers/ssb/main.c                        | 4 +---
 drivers/staging/fieldbus/anybuss/host.c   | 4 +---
 drivers/staging/greybus/gbphy.c           | 4 +---
 drivers/target/loopback/tcm_loop.c        | 5 ++---
 drivers/thunderbolt/domain.c              | 4 +---
 drivers/tty/serdev/core.c                 | 4 +---
 drivers/usb/common/ulpi.c                 | 4 +---
 drivers/usb/serial/bus.c                  | 4 +---
 drivers/usb/typec/bus.c                   | 4 +---
 drivers/vdpa/vdpa.c                       | 4 +---
 drivers/vfio/mdev/mdev_driver.c           | 4 +---
 drivers/virtio/virtio.c                   | 3 +--
 drivers/vlynq/vlynq.c                     | 4 +---
 drivers/vme/vme.c                         | 4 +---
 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus.h               | 2 +-
 drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe.c         | 4 +---
 drivers/zorro/zorro-driver.c              | 3 +--
 include/linux/device/bus.h                | 2 +-
 include/linux/pci-epf.h                   | 2 +-
 sound/ac97/bus.c                          | 6 ++----
 sound/aoa/soundbus/core.c                 | 4 +---
 93 files changed, 107 insertions(+), 263 deletions(-)