Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] random: handle archrandom with multiple longs

From: Borislav Petkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:19:01 +0200

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 03:02:07PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Since callers need to check this return value and loop anyway, each arch
> implementation does not bother implementing its own loop to try again to
> fill the maximum number of longs. Additionally, all existing callers
> pass in a constant max_longs parameter.

Hmm, maybe this has come up already but it reads weird.

If I have a function arch_get_random_longs(), I'd expect it to give me
the number of longs I requested or say, error.

Why do the callers need to loop?

If I have to loop, I'd call the "get me one long" function and loop N
times.

-- 
Regards/Gruss,
    Boris.

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH
GF: Ivo Totev, Andrew Myers, Andrew McDonald, Martje Boudien Moerman
(HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)