Subject: Re: [PATCH] PCI/AER: Add option to panic on unrecoverable errors

From: Lukas Wunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2026 22:10:48 +0100

On Fri, Feb 06, 2026 at 09:53:39PM +0100, Lukas Wunner wrote:
> So I wouldn't consider 918b4053184c to have been a universally successful
> approach and I fear that this patch goes even further.

Forgot to mention -- there's another problem:

PCI_ERS_RESULT_NO_AER_DRIVER is obviously AER-specific.

powerpc (EEH) and s390 have error recovery mechanisms separate from AER
and we've been trying to align them more closely so that drivers don't
need to be aware of platform-specific behavior.

eeh_pe_report_edev() does not modify the pci_ers_result for unbound
drivers and those without pci_error_handlers.  And the default is
PCI_ERS_RESULT_NONE.  eeh_report_error() also returns PCI_ERS_RESULT_NONE
for drivers without ->error_detected() callback.

In the PCI_ERS_RESULT_NONE case, EEH seems to perform a reset and
assume successful recovery.

It's only AER that is this strict about unbound devices and drivers that
lack pci_error_handlers.

If anything we should try to *reduce* deviations between the various
error recovery mechanisms, not double down on increasing them.

Thanks,

Lukas