Subject: Re: [PATCH V6 2/3] rust: Add PowerPC support

From: Alice Ryhl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2026 09:22:33 +0000

On Mon, Feb 23, 2026 at 07:56:02AM +0530, Mukesh Kumar Chaurasiya wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2026 at 08:11:17PM +0100, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 22, 2026 at 8:07 PM Link Mauve <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Should we come back to describing the target like I did in my first
> > > patch[1] in scripts/generate_rust_target.rs, or should I bring that to
> > > Rust to create a powerpc-unknown-unknown-softfloat target upstream?  Or
> > > is there a better third solution I’m not thinking of?
> > 
> > We are trying to stop using the custom target specs, so we should ask
> > upstream to give you a built-in target you can use (or equivalently, a
> > flag to do what you need, but I think the idea is to not have such a
> > flag).
> > 
> > i.e. even if you used the custom target JSON, we would still need to
> > ask, since the goal is to remove that script entirely.
> 
> I think, disabling altivec, fpu and vsx with compiler flag will work.
> 
> What are your opinion on this?

I think you can and should submit a PR to add a softfloat target to
upstream Rust right now, and I believe there should be no issue in
accepting that.

If there's a workaround we can use on existing compiler versions without
the target, that's great too, but we should get the target in upstream
asap.

Alice