Subject: [PATCH] powerpc: Avoid integer overflow in page_is_ram()

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 20:39:03 -0700

Commit 8b150478 ("ppc: make phys_mem_access_prot() work with pfns
instead of addresses") fixed page_is_ram() in arch/ppc to avoid overflow
for addresses above 4G on 32-bit kernels.  However arch/powerpc's
page_is_ram() is missing the same fix -- it computes a physical address
by doing pfn << PAGE_SHIFT, which overflows if pfn corresponds to a page
above 4G.

In particular this causes pages above 4G to be mapped with the wrong
caching attribute; for example many ppc440-based SoCs have PCI space
above 4G, and mmap()ing MMIO space may end up with a mapping that has
caching enabled.

Fix this by working with the pfn and avoiding the conversion to
physical address that causes the overflow.  This patch compares the
pfn to max_pfn, which is a semantic change from the old code -- that
code compared the physical address to high_memory, which corresponds
to max_low_pfn.  However, I think that was is another bug, since
highmem pages are still RAM.

Reported-by: vb <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
---
This is a fix but the bug is pretty long-standing -- I think this is
2.6.28 material.

 arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c |    5 ++---
 1 files changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c b/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c
index 1c93c25..98d7bf9 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c
+++ b/arch/powerpc/mm/mem.c
@@ -75,11 +75,10 @@ static inline pte_t *virt_to_kpte(unsigned long vaddr)
 
 int page_is_ram(unsigned long pfn)
 {
-	unsigned long paddr = (pfn << PAGE_SHIFT);
-
 #ifndef CONFIG_PPC64	/* XXX for now */
-	return paddr < __pa(high_memory);
+	return pfn < max_pfn;
 #else
+	unsigned long paddr = (pfn << PAGE_SHIFT);
 	int i;
 	for (i=0; i < lmb.memory.cnt; i++) {
 		unsigned long base;