Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] powerpc: Run typos -w

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2026 12:04:06 -0500

Hi!

On Tue, Apr 21, 2026 at 02:14:14PM +0200, Link Mauve wrote:
> diff --git a/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/ppa8548.dts b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/ppa8548.dts
> index f39838d93994..32558104b3a9 100644
> --- a/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/ppa8548.dts
> +++ b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/fsl/ppa8548.dts
> @@ -95,7 +95,7 @@ i2c@3100 {
>  
>  	/*
>  	 * Only ethernet controller @25000 and @26000 are used.
> -	 * Use alias enet2 and enet3 for the remainig controllers,
> +	 * Use alias enet2 and enet3 for the remaining controllers,

Aliases.

> diff --git a/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8308_p1m.dts b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8308_p1m.dts
> index 41f917f97dab..48a98449ecbb 100644
> --- a/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8308_p1m.dts
> +++ b/arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8308_p1m.dts
> @@ -90,14 +90,14 @@ can@1,0 {
>  			compatible = "nxp,sja1000";
>  			reg = <0x1 0x0 0x80>;
>  			interrupts = <18 0x8>;
> -			interrups-parent = <&ipic>;
> +			interrupts-parent = <&ipic>;
>  		};

interrupt-parent .

All the names of properties have a meaning!  Just as you cannot change
a function name in C without changing all calls to it as well, you
really should never change a property name (if you want stuff to keep
on working, that is ;-) ).

In this case, the property was never actually used (because of the
typo).  Maybe it wasn't needed?  If you make changes to a DTS, post it
*separately* from the rest of this series, and test it *thoroughly*.
Just a "does it boot" test is certainly not enough.

It could well be that fixing the typo (so that the property name becomes
"interrupt-parent") makes the kernel no longer boot on the systems
affected, or less obvious problems can show up.

It will need to be tested and evaluated by whoever maintains the DTSes
in question, really :-/  And you cannot test it works for one DTS and
then conclude it will work everywhere, heh.

Segher