Subject: Re: OF compatible MTD platform RAM driver ?

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:06:45 +0100

> So we're left with two main options.
>
> - Reusing the nvram device type from the Device Support Extensions.

This wouldn't bring you anything.  A device_type is only used internally
by OF, to decide what device nodes support which OF programming model.
If you only have a flat device tree, "device_type" should be used only
as a workaround for older kernels that require it.

> - Using another device node with a compatible value set to 
> "linear-ram" (or
> something similar). This would support both volatile and non-volatile
> devices, and a property could be added to specify if the device is 
> volatile
> or not.

"memory-mapped-memory" perhaps :-)

Or, just "memory".  Although that one might play havoc with some
not-quite-correct main memory probing code.

Segher