Subject: Re: [RFC,PATCH] scripts/package: add powerpc images to tarball

From: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 22:59:06 -0500

On Jul 24, 2008, at 8:11 PM, Jeremy Kerr wrote:

> Milton,
>
>> Yes.  How about all dtbImage, zImage, cuboot, treeboot, etc
>> that are newer than vmlinux?
>
> The existing arch code doesn't do any checks for timestamps, perhaps
> this would be better implemented as an arch-independent change?

The problem is some people might want to add intermediate files that are
younger than vmlinux (eg .config).  We know our boot-image should be
newer.  But I don't know how one would express the expected ages.

The reason I suggested the check was to eliminate images that are not
in the current config.  I figured a test for relative file age could
be done in the for loop -- possibly replace shell wildcard with
find arch/$(ARCH)/boot/{zImage*,dtbImage*,uImage*,cuImage*,treeboot*}
-newer vmlinux -print.

> (but would you like me to add treeboot and cuboot?)

I don't see why we should prefer the workstations and servers over the
embedded boards.  zImage is just a link to the first boot image, but
one can build a multiple formats and the order is somewhat arbitrary.
So I see it as fairness.  Otherwise, there are a few other platforms
that are "user" based vs embedded (like efkia, no?).

milton