Subject: Re: Segmentation fault with X.org and Coral-P drivers

From: Matthias Transier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 17:19:42 +0100

Hi Wolfgang,

thanks for the quick response.

2006/1/4, Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]>:
> > I have been trying to get X.org running on a board called "Embedded
> > Planet EP5200C" (it seems to be a "Freescale Lite5200") and a Fujitsu
>
> Umm... no. Embedded Plaet and Freescale are two different  companies,
> and EP5200 and Lite5200 are two different boards.

Ok, my fault. I saw a Lite5200 on a picture somewhere and it looked
pretty much like my EP board :-). But what I can tell for sure is:
when I remove the "Embedded Planet" sticker on the board, there is a
Freescale logo and a print (directly on the board): "IceCube Version
103"

> > Coral-P (Rev 5.0). I am using the 2.4 kernel from denx.de and
>
> Our kernel does not include any support for the EP5200 board.

I checked it out from CVS, configured it, and it works (besides the X11 thi=
ng).

> > succesfully installed gentoo-ppc on nfs. The framebuffer works, I get
> > a login prompt on the monitor.
> >
> > Now I compiled x.org-6.8.2 (gentoo -r4) and the mb86290 driver from
> > denx.de. Unfortunately, it does not work and I get a segmentation
> > fault when trying to startx. strace produces the output attached
> > below.
>
> Please read the documentation that comes with the driver:
> ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/fujitsu/Coral-P/README.html

That is what I already read in order to compile the driver.

> Note that the driver was  built  and  tested  against  xfree86-4.3.0;
> don't  expect  the  binary  to  work  in  a  completely different X11
> release. You wil have to rebuild (and eventually  adapt)  the  driver
> for your environment.

I did not use the prebuilt binaries, but I was able to compile the
driver within my x.org tree. (I had to adapt the Imakefiles by myself,
the provided ones were too different from the originals.)

In the meantime, I can provide you with further debugging information:
from Xorg.0.log:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
(II) MB86290(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
        Screen to screen bit blits
        Solid filled rectangles
        8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
        Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
        Solid Lines
        Dashed Lines
(II) MB86290(0): Acceleration enabled
fbdevHW: LoadPalette 0
(II) MB86290(0): fbdevHWLoadPalette succeeded
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The last line is a message that I added. Since the output stops at
that point, it must be the next call that fails
(mb86290_driver.c:604):

        if (!xf86I2CProbeAddress(fPtr->I2C, I2C_SAA7113))
                return FALSE;

May that be a problem with the i2c driver in the kernel which does not
exactly fit with my board?
The following message also appears in Xorg.0.log, some lines above:
(II) MB86290(0): I2C bus "MB86290 I2C bus" removed.

Thanks in advance for any hint that you can give me.

Best regards,
Matthias