Subject: Re: RFC cpm2_devices DPRAM resource

From: Allen Curtis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:08:55 -0700

>> Slightly different question than the current thread:
>>
>> Should the DPRAM appear as it's own platform_device?
>> Option 1) Specify the portion of the DPRAM used by each device with
>> that platform_device definition. (current)
>>
>> Option 2) Define the whole DPRAM region as its own platform_device
>> entry. Move the device DPRAM information to the device specific
>> platform structure.
>>
>> Would this help with a general dpalloc() implementation? It would
>> reduce the number of ioremap() regions.
>
> Well, we already have an allocator for general dpram memory.  I'm not 
> really sure how this would help beyond reducing the fact that we may 
> ioremap() regions more than once.  I think the better solution there 
> is to look at the patches that have been made to ioremap() to return 
> the same virtual addresses if you are remapping a region of physical 
> memory that already has a mapping.
>
I guess my thought regarding the dpalloc() statement is that those 
functions could query the platform_device structure to find the region 
they are managing. Make them a little more general.