Subject: Re: [patch 1/6] ps3: Preallocate bootmem memory for the PS3 FLASH

From: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:25:30 -0500

On Fri Jun 15 23:32:41 EST 2007, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 13:39 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> Preallocate 256 KiB of bootmem memory for the PS3 FLASH ROM storage 
>>> driver.
>>
>> I still very much dislike the #ifdef xxx_MODULE in main kernel code.
>
> Me too, but there's no other reliable way to allocate it after boot 
> up...
>
>> At the end of the day, is it realistic to ever use a PS3 without the
>> storage driver ? I would suggest just allocating those 
>> unconditionally.
>
> If you don't plan to (a) boot into GameOS or (b) update the kboot 
> kernel, then the answer is: yes, you can live without the FLASH ROM 
> driver, and save one promille of RAM.
>

In that case, why not make it an early_param, and only change the 
default based on the config varables?   It sounds like I might want to 
reclaim this memory even if I compiled in the driver.

Statement (a) is because one has to write the flag to say don't' boot 
OtherOS to go back to GameOS (or reset all defaults) I presume.

milton