Subject: [Bug 203723] New: Build error: taking address of packed member of 'struct ftrace_graph_ent' may result in an unaligned pointer value

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 14:36:21 +0000

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203723

            Bug ID: 203723
           Summary: Build error: taking address of packed member of
                    'struct ftrace_graph_ent' may result in an unaligned
                    pointer value
           Product: Platform Specific/Hardware
           Version: 2.5
    Kernel Version: 4.14.122
          Hardware: All
                OS: Linux
              Tree: Mainline
            Status: NEW
          Severity: normal
          Priority: P1
         Component: PPC-64
          Assignee: [email-masked]
          Reporter: [email-masked]
        Regression: No

Created attachment 282967
  --> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=282967&action=edit
Build log

This error appears while building 4.14.122. I'm building with GCC 9.1 for
ppc64el.

make -f ./scripts/Makefile.build obj=arch/powerpc/kernel/trace
  powerpc64le-linux-gcc -m64 -Wp,-MD,arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/.ftrace.o.d 
-nostdinc -isystem
/home/jason/toolchain/bin/../lib/gcc/powerpc64le-linux/9.1.0/include
-I./arch/powerpc/include -I./arch/powerpc/include/generated  -I./include
-I./arch/powerpc/include/uapi -I./arch/powerpc/include/generated/uapi
-I./include/uapi -I./include/generated/uapi -include ./include/linux/kconfig.h
-D__KERNEL__ -DCC_USING_MPROFILE_KERNEL -Iarch/powerpc -DHAVE_AS_ATHIGH=1 -Wall
-Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common
-fshort-wchar -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security
-std=gnu89 -fno-PIE -msoft-float -pipe -Iarch/powerpc -mtraceback=no
-mabi=elfv2 -mcmodel=medium -mno-pointers-to-nested-functions -mcpu=power8
-mno-altivec -mno-vsx -funit-at-a-time -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -mno-string
-Wa,-maltivec -mlittle-endian -mno-strict-align -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks
-Wno-frame-address -Wno-format-truncation -Wno-format-overflow
-Wno-int-in-bool-context -Wno-attribute-alias -O2
--param=allow-store-data-races=0 -DCC_HAVE_ASM_GOTO -Wframe-larger-than=2048
-fno-stack-protector -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -Wno-unused-const-variable
-fno-var-tracking-assignments -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign
-Wno-stringop-truncation -fno-strict-overflow -fno-merge-all-constants
-fmerge-constants -fno-stack-check -fconserve-stack -Werror=implicit-int
-Werror=strict-prototypes -Werror=date-time -Werror=incompatible-pointer-types
-Werror=designated-init -Wno-packed-not-aligned -Werror -Werror   
-DKBUILD_BASENAME='"ftrace"'  -DKBUILD_MODNAME='"ftrace"' -c -o
arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.o arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.c
arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.c: In function 'prepare_ftrace_return':
arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.c:596:43: error: taking address of packed
member of 'struct ftrace_graph_ent' may result in an unaligned pointer value
[-Werror=address-of-packed-member]
  596 |  if (ftrace_push_return_trace(parent, ip, &trace.depth, 0,
      |                                           ^~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
scripts/Makefile.build:326: recipe for target
'arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.o' failed
make[2]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.o] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:585: recipe for target 'arch/powerpc/kernel/trace'
failed
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/trace] Error 2
Makefile:1038: recipe for target 'arch/powerpc/kernel' failed
make: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel] Error 2

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching the assignee of the bug.