Subject: [Bug 205889] CONFIG_PPC_85xx with CONFIG_CORENET_GENERIC outputs uImage instead of zImage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 11:37:03 +0000

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205889

Michael Ellerman ([email-masked]) changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 CC|                            [email-masked]

--- Comment #1 from Michael Ellerman ([email-masked]) ---
I think that's working as designed, if not expected.

CONFIG_CORENET_GENERIC selects CONFIG_DEFAULT_UIMAGE, which tells
arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile to build a uImage.

The zImage is just a hardlinkg to the uImage.

You can see that using the -i flag to ls, eg:

$ ls -il arch/powerpc/boot/{uImage,zImage}
1300656 -rw-rw-r-- 2 michael michael 5356164 Dec 18 22:19
arch/powerpc/boot/uImage
1300656 -rw-rw-r-- 2 michael michael 5356164 Dec 18 22:19
arch/powerpc/boot/zImage

Notice the inode is the same, and the link count is 2.

I think the logic behind the link is that people might have scripts to copy
zImage somewhere to boot it, and we didn't want to break that just because the
target of the build is a uImage.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching the assignee of the bug.