Subject: [Bug 215217] Kernel fails to boot at an early stage when built with GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY=y (PowerMac G4 3,6)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 14:49:29 +0000

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215217

--- Comment #4 from Erhard F. ([email-masked]) ---
Created attachment 299935
  --> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=299935&action=edit
kernel .config (4.18.20, PowerMac G4 DP)

Hmm, strange...

I tried to bisect but found out that this issue goes back to kernel v4.18.20 at
least. This one is the earliest I am able to build with
GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY=y, kernels before error out with:

make: ngcc: No such file or directory
Cannot use CONFIG_GCC_PLUGINS: plugin support on gcc <= 5.1 is buggy on
powerpc, please upgrade to gcc 5.2 or newer

I used gcc 9.4.0 and reduced the kernel .config a lot but it's still the same.
v4.18.20 with GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY=y freezes at this early boot stage,
without GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY booting continues.

Also GCC_PLUGIN_LATENT_ENTROPY=y makes no problem on my G5 either. So it's only
the G4 which is affected. Wildly guessing this may be a 32bit PowerPC gcc
specific thing?

-- 
You may reply to this email to add a comment.

You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching the assignee of the bug.