Subject: [Bug 215389] pagealloc: memory corruption at building glibc-2.33 and running its' testsuite

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2022 01:07:12 +0000

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215389

--- Comment #4 from Erhard F. ([email-masked]) ---
I was able to easily reproduce this on 5.15.13, however not on 5.16-rc8.

But on 5.16-rc8 I got this the 3rd time I ran the glibc testsuite:

[...]
watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 26s! [kworker/u4:7:32566]
Modules linked in: auth_rpcgss nfsv4 dns_resolver nfs lockd grace sunrpc
ghash_generic gf128mul gcm ccm algif_aead des_generic libdes ctr cbc ecb
algif_skcipher aes_generic libaes cmac sha512_generic sha1_generic sha1_powerpc
md5 md5_ppc md4 b43legacy mac80211 libarc4 snd_aoa_codec_tas
snd_aoa_fabric_layout snd_aoa cfg80211 rfkill evdev mac_hid therm_windtunnel
firewire_ohci firewire_core crc_itu_t sr_mod cdrom snd_aoa_i2sbus
snd_aoa_soundbus snd_pcm snd_timer snd ohci_pci soundcore radeon ohci_hcd
ehci_pci ehci_hcd hwmon i2c_algo_bit drm_ttm_helper ttm ssb drm_kms_helper
pcmcia pcmcia_core usbcore 8250_pci syscopyarea sysfillrect sysimgblt
usb_common 8250 8250_base serial_mctrl_gpio fb_sys_fops pkcs8_key_parser fuse
drm drm_panel_orientation_quirks configfs
CPU: 1 PID: 32566 Comm: kworker/u4:7 Not tainted 5.16.0-rc8-PowerMacG4 #1
Workqueue: zswap1 compact_page_work
NIP:  c0078730 LR: c0078724 CTR: 00000000
REGS: f698dd40 TRAP: 0900   Not tainted  (5.16.0-rc8-PowerMacG4)
MSR:  00009032 <EE,ME,IR,DR,RI>  CR: 44008242  XER: 20000000

GPR00: c01856c8 f698de00 ca20b540 00000001 d4c73ffc 00000000 de0bd0bc aaaaaaaa 
GPR08: aaaaaaaa 00000000 ffffffff 00000004 84002242 00000000 c00553fc 00000001 
GPR16: 00000002 d4c73fc0 c0980000 002ec02c 00000040 d4c7300c d4c7302e c19c4bc0 
GPR24: c19c4bc0 c0185d74 ef0d0040 d4c73008 d4c74a4c 0000007f de0bd000 d4c74a54 
NIP [c0078730] arch_write_lock+0x28/0x3c
LR [c0078724] arch_write_lock+0x1c/0x3c
Call Trace:
[f698de00] [c0185d74] release_z3fold_page_locked+0x0/0x44 (unreliable)
[f698de20] [c01856c8] do_compact_page+0x334/0x508
[f698de80] [c004f354] process_one_work+0x1d4/0x288
[f698dec0] [c004f814] worker_thread+0x1b8/0x260
[f698df00] [c0055514] kthread+0x118/0x11c
[f698df30] [c0016268] ret_from_kernel_thread+0x5c/0x64
Instruction dump:
39610020 4bfa7668 9421ffe0 7c0802a6 90010024 93e1001c 7c7f1b78 7fe3fb78 
4bffff0d 2c030000 41a20014 813f0000 <2c090000> 4182ffe8 4bfffff4 39610020 
Kernel panic - not syncing: softlockup: hung tasks
CPU: 1 PID: 32566 Comm: kworker/u4:7 Tainted: G             L   
5.16.0-rc8-PowerMacG4 #1
Workqueue: zswap1 compact_page_work
Call Trace:
[f698dbb0] [c03e7f04] dump_stack_lvl+0x60/0x80 (unreliable)
[f698dbd0] [c0037734] panic+0x128/0x30c
[f698dc30] [c00c6334] watchdog_nmi_enable+0x0/0x10
[f698dc70] [c0097fc8] __hrtimer_run_queues+0xf0/0x154
[f698dcb0] [c0098b7c] hrtimer_interrupt+0xf8/0x25c
[f698dcf0] [c000d70c] timer_interrupt+0x20c/0x294
[f698dd30] [c0004a50] Decrementer_virt+0x100/0x104
--- interrupt: 900 at arch_write_lock+0x28/0x3c
NIP:  c0078730 LR: c0078724 CTR: 00000000
REGS: f698dd40 TRAP: 0900   Tainted: G             L    
(5.16.0-rc8-PowerMacG4)
MSR:  00009032 <EE,ME,IR,DR,RI>  CR: 44008242  XER: 20000000

GPR00: c01856c8 f698de00 ca20b540 00000001 d4c73ffc 00000000 de0bd0bc aaaaaaaa 
GPR08: aaaaaaaa 00000000 ffffffff 00000004 84002242 00000000 c00553fc 00000001 
GPR16: 00000002 d4c73fc0 c0980000 002ec02c 00000040 d4c7300c d4c7302e c19c4bc0 
GPR24: c19c4bc0 c0185d74 ef0d0040 d4c73008 d4c74a4c 0000007f de0bd000 d4c74a54 
NIP [c0078730] arch_write_lock+0x28/0x3c
LR [c0078724] arch_write_lock+0x1c/0x3c
--- interrupt: 900
[f698de00] [c0185d74] release_z3fold_page_locked+0x0/0x44 (unreliable)
[f698de20] [c01856c8] do_compact_page+0x334/0x508
[f698de80] [c004f354] process_one_work+0x1d4/0x288
[f698dec0] [c004f814] worker_thread+0x1b8/0x260
[f698df00] [c0055514] kthread+0x118/0x11c
[f698df30] [c0016268] ret_from_kernel_thread+0x5c/0x64
Rebooting in 40 seconds..

Which is interesting because on bug #213837 my not yet finished bisect is also
giving hints z3fold may be the problem...

I'll check out next whether the issue is reproduceable on 5.15.x when I use
zbud or zmalloc for zswap instead of z3fold.

-- 
You may reply to this email to add a comment.

You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching the assignee of the bug.