Subject: [Bug 216183] New: Kernel 5.19-rc4 boots ok with CONFIG_PPC_RADIX_MMU=y but fails to boot with CONFIG_PPC_HASH_MMU_NATIVE=y

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 22:54:15 +0000

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216183

            Bug ID: 216183
           Summary: Kernel 5.19-rc4 boots ok with CONFIG_PPC_RADIX_MMU=y
                    but fails to boot with CONFIG_PPC_HASH_MMU_NATIVE=y
           Product: Platform Specific/Hardware
           Version: 2.5
    Kernel Version: 5.19-rc4
          Hardware: PPC-64
                OS: Linux
              Tree: Mainline
            Status: NEW
          Severity: normal
          Priority: P1
         Component: PPC-64
          Assignee: [email-masked]
          Reporter: [email-masked]
        Regression: No

Created attachment 301289
  --> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=301289&action=edit
kernel dmesg (kernel 5.19-rc4, Talos II)

5.19-rc4 boots ok when
CONFIG_PPC_RADIX_MMU=y
CONFIG_PPC_RADIX_MMU_DEFAULT=y

is enabled in the .config but fails to boot when MMU is changed to

# CONFIG_PPC_RADIX_MMU is not set
CONFIG_PPC_HASH_MMU_NATIVE=y

in the same .config.

[...]
Disabling lock debugging due to kernel taint
Oops: Machine check, sig: 7 [#1]
BE PAGE_SIZE=4K MMU=Hash SMP NR_CPUS=32 NUMA PowerNV
Modules linked in: cbc aes_generic snd_hda_codec_hdmi libaes snd_hda_intel
snd_intel_dspcfg xhci_pci snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep xhci_hcd snd_hda_core
cfg80211 drm_ttm_helper ghash_generic rfkill ofpart ttm i2c_algo_bit snd_pcm
powernv_flash vmx_crypto(+) ibmpowernv at24(+) usbcore drm_display_helper mtd
gf128mul snd_timer hwmon opal_prd regmap_i2c usb_common drm_kms_helper
sysimgblt syscopyarea snd sysfillrect fb_sys_fops soundcore zram
pkcs8_key_parser zsmalloc powernv_cpufreq drm fuse drm_panel_orientation_quirks
backlight configfs
CPU: 9 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/9 Tainted: G   M              5.19.0-rc4-P9 #4
NIP:  0000000000000000 LR: 0000000000000000 CTR: 00ac408f3f6b677d
REGS: c0000007ffe7e900 TRAP: c000000000008354   Tainted: G   M              
(5.19.0-rc4-P9)
MSR:  0301010000000000 <>  CR: c0000007ffe7ed40  XER: c0003d000007e680
CFAR: 0000000000000003 IRQMASK: 3 
GPR00: 0000000000000000 c0000007ffe7eaa0 c0000007ffe7e990 0000000000000000 
GPR04: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR08: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR12: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR16: 0000000000000000 c0000007ffe7eaa0 c0000007ffe7ea30 0000000000000000 
GPR20: c00000000004a3b4 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 c000000001237e00 
GPR24: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR28: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
NIP [0000000000000000] 0x0
LR [0000000000000000] 0x0
Call Trace:
[c0000007ffe7eaa0] [c000000001237e00] 0xc000000001237e00 (unreliable)
Instruction dump:
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX 
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX 
---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
input: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card0/input0
Adding 16777212k swap on /dev/nvme0n1p4.  Priority:-2 extents:1
across:16777212k SSFS
at24 7-0050: 256 byte spd EEPROM, read-only
at24 7-0052: 256 byte spd EEPROM, read-only
at24 8-0054: 256 byte spd EEPROM, read-only
at24 8-0056: 256 byte spd EEPROM, read-only
EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p2): mounting ext2 file system using the ext4 subsystem
[drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
EXT4-fs (nvme0n1p2): mounted filesystem without journal. Quota mode: disabled.
EXT4-fs (zram1): mounting ext2 file system using the ext4 subsystem
EXT4-fs (zram1): mounted filesystem without journal. Quota mode: disabled.

Oops: Machine check, sig: 7 [#2]
BE PAGE_SIZE=4K MMU=Hash SMP NR_CPUS=32 NUMA PowerNV
Modules linked in: xts ecb ctr evdev cbc aes_generic snd_hda_codec_hdmi libaes
snd_hda_intel snd_intel_dspcfg xhci_pci snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep radeon(+)
xhci_hcd snd_hda_core cfg80211 drm_ttm_helper ghash_generic rfkill ofpart ttm
i2c_algo_bit snd_pcm powernv_flash vmx_crypto ibmpowernv at24 usbcore
drm_display_helper mtd gf128mul snd_timer hwmon opal_prd regmap_i2c usb_common
drm_kms_helper sysimgblt syscopyarea snd sysfillrect fb_sys_fops soundcore zram
pkcs8_key_parser zsmalloc powernv_cpufreq drm fuse drm_panel_orientation_quirks
backlight configfs
CPU: 1 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/1 Tainted: G   M  D           5.19.0-rc4-P9 #4
NIP:  0000000000000000 LR: 0000000000000000 CTR: 0063d2a43fc97e45
REGS: c0000007ffede900 TRAP: c000000000008354   Tainted: G   M  D           
(5.19.0-rc4-P9)
MSR:  0301010000000000 <>  CR: c0000007ffeded40  XER: c0003d0000016680
CFAR: 0000000000000003 IRQMASK: 3 
GPR00: 0000000000000000 c0000007ffedeaa0 c0000007ffede990 0000000000000000 
GPR04: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR08: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR12: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR16: 0000000000000000 c0000007ffedeaa0 c0000007ffedea30 0000000000000000 
GPR20: c00000000004a3b4 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 c000000001237e00 
GPR24: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR28: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
NIP [0000000000000000] 0x0
LR [0000000000000000] 0x0
Call Trace:
[c0000007ffedeaa0] [c000000001237e00] 0xc000000001237e00 (unreliable)
Instruction dump:
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX 
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX 
---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---
Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!

Oops: Machine check, sig: 7 [#3]
BE PAGE_SIZE=4K MMU=Hash SMP NR_CPUS=32 NUMA PowerNV
Modules linked in: xts ecb ctr evdev cbc aes_generic snd_hda_codec_hdmi libaes
snd_hda_intel snd_intel_dspcfg xhci_pci snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep radeon(+)
xhci_hcd snd_hda_core cfg80211 drm_ttm_helper ghash_generic rfkill ofpart ttm
i2c_algo_bit snd_pcm powernv_flash vmx_crypto ibmpowernv at24 usbcore
drm_display_helper mtd gf128mul snd_timer hwmon opal_prd regmap_i2c usb_common
drm_kms_helper sysimgblt syscopyarea snd sysfillrect fb_sys_fops soundcore zram
pkcs8_key_parser zsmalloc powernv_cpufreq drm fuse drm_panel_orientation_quirks
backlight configfs
CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/0 Tainted: G   M  D           5.19.0-rc4-P9 #4
NIP:  0000000000000000 LR: 0000000000000000 CTR: 007652c6b5124d60
REGS: c0000007ffeea900 TRAP: c000000000008354   Tainted: G   M  D           
(5.19.0-rc4-P9)
MSR:  0301010000000000 <>  CR: c0000007ffeead40  XER: c0003d0000009680
CFAR: 0000000000000003 IRQMASK: 3 
GPR00: 0000000000000000 c0000007ffeeaaa0 c0000007ffeea990 0000000000000000 
GPR04: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR08: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR12: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR16: 0000000000000000 c0000007ffeeaaa0 c0000007ffeeaa30 0000000000000000 
GPR20: c00000000004a3b4 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 c000000001237e00 
GPR24: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
GPR28: 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 
NIP [0000000000000000] 0x0
LR [0000000000000000] 0x0
Call Trace:
[c0000007ffeeaaa0] [c000000001237e00] 0xc000000001237e00 (unreliable)
Instruction dump:
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX 
XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX 
---[ end trace 0000000000000000 ]---

Machine is a 2 X 4-core POWER9 Talos II:
 # lspci 
0000:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Turks XT [Radeon HD 6670/7670]
0000:01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Turks HDMI
Audio [Radeon HD 6500/6600 / 6700M Series]
0001:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0001:01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Phison Electronics Corporation
Device 5008 (rev 01)
0002:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0003:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0003:01:00.0 USB controller: Texas Instruments TUSB73x0 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 xHCI
Host Controller (rev 02)
0004:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0004:01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme
BCM5719 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
0004:01:00.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme
BCM5719 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)
0005:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0005:01:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev
04)
0005:02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics
Family (rev 41)
0030:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0031:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0032:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)
0033:00:00.0 PCI bridge: IBM POWER9 Host Bridge (PHB4)

-- 
You may reply to this email to add a comment.

You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching the assignee of the bug.