Subject: [Bug 216715] kernel 6.1-rc5 + KASAN_OUTLINE fails to boot at very early stage when DEBUG_PAGEALLOC_ENABLE_DEFAULT is enabled (PowerMac G4 3,6)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 00:12:17 +0000

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=216715

Erhard F. ([email-masked]) changed:

           What    |Removed                     |Added
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Attachment #303245|0                           |1
        is obsolete|                            |

--- Comment #2 from Erhard F. ([email-masked]) ---
Created attachment 303254
  --> https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=303254&action=edit
kernel .config (6.1-rc6, PowerMac G4 DP)

Somehow I had a hard time reproducing this...

Finally it turned out that this is not 100% deterministic. I'll attach my new
-rc6 .config which provokes the early boot failure best.

The same kernel can run into this early boot issue, or it can fail boot later
with "BUG: KASAN: slab-out-of-bounds in filemap_map_pages+0x2c8/0x5d0" or it
can boot up just fine.

I had the impression the early boot issue is provoked easier when
CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC_ENABLE_DEFAULT=y is set or debug_pagealloc=on is set as
boot parameter as you suggested. Also it seems to be provoked easier when
CONFIG_NETCONSOLE=y is used and properly configured (perhaps also linked to my
yet-to-be-posted netconsole bug?).

-- 
You may reply to this email to add a comment.

You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching the assignee of the bug.