Subject: What's wrong with the serial port?

From: Shawn Jin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:41:21 -0700

Hi,

I'm porting linux 2.6.11.4 to a custom SoC with ppc440 core. The UART
is 16550 compatible. U-Boot is already running fine.

When the kernel is booting, it gets to the point where console_init()
is called, which calls individual early console initialization
functions. In my case it's serial8250_console_init(). Before
register_console() is called in serial8250_console_init(), everything
seems fine because the debugging logs are printed on the serial port.
But once register_console() is called, the serial port continues
spitting out à. See the following message. What's wrong?

Any hints are appreciated!

Boot reached stage 4                                                            
Boot reached stage 5                                                            
Boot reached stage 6                                                            
OK                                                                              
Boot reached stage 7                                                            
Boot reached stage 8                                                            
## Current stack ends at 0x01FC6B80 => set upper limit to 0x00800000            
## cmdline at 0x007FFF00 ... 0x007FFF10                                         
bd address  = 0x01FC6F90                                                        
memstart    = 0x00000000                                                        
memsize     = 0x02000000                                                        
flashstart  = 0x00000000                                                        
flashsize   = 0x00000000                                                        
flashoffset = 0x00000000                                                        
sramstart   = 0x00000000                                                        
sramsize    = 0x00000000                                                        
bootflags   = 0x00000000                                                        
intfreq     =    400 MHz                                                        
busfreq     =    266 MHz                                                        
ethaddr     = 00:00:00:00:00:00                                                 
IP addr     = 0.0.0.0                                                           
baudrate    = 115200 bps                                                        
Boot reached stage 14                                                           
No initrd                                                                       
## Transferring control to Linux (at address 00000000) ...                      
Boot reached stage 15                                                           
id mach(): done                                                                 
MMU:enter                                                                       
MMU:hw init                                                                     
MMU:mapin                                                                       
MMU:setio                                                                       
MMU:exit                                                                        
setup_arch: enter                                                               
setup_arch: bootmem                                                             
arch: exit                                                                      
àààààà                                              

-Shawn.