Subject: [PATCHv8 0/6] Getting rid of get_unused_fd() / enable close-on-exec

From: Yann Droneaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 15:11:05 +0200

TL;DR:

- Trivial patches to replace calls to get_unused_fd() by
  get_unused_fd_flags(0);
- Patch to remove get_unused_fd();
- Patch to add support O_CLOEXEC in fanotify_init().

Hi,

Please find the eighth revision of my patchset to remove
get_unused_fd() macro in order to help subsystems to use
get_unused_fd_flags() (or anon_inode_getfd()) with flags either
provided by the userspace or set to O_CLOEXEC by default where
appropriate.

Without get_unused_fd() macro, more subsystems are likely to use
get_unused_fd_flags() (or anon_inode_getfd()) and be taught to
provide an API that let userspace choose the opening flags of
the file descriptor.

Not allowing userspace to provide the "open" flags or not using
O_CLOEXEC by default should be considered bad practice from
security point of view: in most case O_CLOEXEC must be used to
not leak file descriptor across exec().

Not allowing userspace to atomically set close-on-exec flag and
not using O_CLOEXEC should be avoided to protect multi-threaded
program from race condition when it tried to set close-on-exec
flag using fcntl(fd, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC) after opening the file
descriptor.

Example:

    int fd;
    int ret;

    fd = open(filename, O_RDONLY);
    if (fd < 0) {
        perror("open");
        return -1;
    }

    /*
     * window opened for another thread to call fork(),
     * then the new process can call exec() at any time
     * and the file descriptor would be inherited
     */

    ret = fcntl(fd, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)
    if (ret < 0) {
        perror("fnctl()");
        close(fd);
        return -1;
    }

vs.:

    int fd;
    fd = open(filename, O_RDONLY | O_CLOEXEC);
    if (fd < 0) {
        perror("open");
        return -1;
    }

Using O_CLOEXEC by default when flags are not (eg. cannot be)
provided by userspace is the safest bet as it allows userspace
to choose, if, when and where the file descriptor is going to be
inherited across exec(): userspace is free to call fcntl() to
remove FD_CLOEXEC flag in the child process that will call
exec().

Unfortunately, O_CLOEXEC cannot be made the default for most
existing system calls as it's not the default behavior for
POSIX / Unix. Reader interested in this issue could have a look
at "Ghosts of Unix past, part 2: Conflated designs" [1] article
by Neil Brown.

FAQ:

- Why do one want close-on-exec ?

Setting close-on-exec flag on file descriptor ensure it won't be
inherited silently by child, child of child, etc. when executing
another program.

If the file descriptor is not closed, some kernel resources can
be locked until the last process with the opened file descriptor
exit.

If the file descriptor is not closed, this can lead to a
security issue, eg. making resources available to a less
privileged program allowing information leak and/or deny of
service.

- Why do one need atomic close-on-exec ?

Even if it's possible to set close-on-exec flag through call to
fcntl() as shown previously, it introduces a race condition in
multi-threaded process, where a thread call fork() / exec()
while another thread is between call to open() and fcntl().

Additionally, using close-on-exec free the programmer from
tracking manually which file descriptor is to be closed in a
child before calling exec(): in a program using multiple
third-party libraries, it's difficult to know which file
descriptor must be closed. AFAIK, while there's a atexit(),
pthread_atfork(), there's no atexec() userspace function
in libc to allow libraries to register a handler in order
to close its opened file descriptor before exec().

- Why default to close-on-exec ?

Some kernel interfaces don't allow userspace to pass a
O_CLOEXEC-like flag when creating a new file descriptor.

In such cases, if possible (see below), O_CLOEXEC must be made
the default so that userspace doesn't have to call fcntl()
which, as demonstrated previously, is open to race condition
in multi-threaded program.

- How to choose between flag 0 or O_CLOEXEC in call to
  get_unused_fd_flags() (or anon_inode_getfd()) ?

Short: Will it break existing application ? Will it break kernel
       ABI ?

       If answer is no, use O_CLOEXEC.
       If answer is yes, use 0.

Long: If userspace expect to retrieve a file descriptor with
      plain old Unix(tm) semantics, O_CLOEXEC must not be made
      the default, as it could break some applications expecting
      that the file descriptor will be inherited across exec().

      But for some subsystems, such as InfiniBand, KVM, VFIO,
      etc. it makes no sense to have file descriptors inherited
      across exec() since those are tied to resources that will
      vanish when a another program will replace the current
      one by mean of exec(), so it's safe to use O_CLOEXEC in
      such cases.

      For others, like XFS, the file descriptor is retrieved by
      one program and will be used by a different program,
      executed as a child. In this case, setting O_CLOEXEC would
      break existing application which do not expect to have to
      call fcntl(fd, F_SETFD, 0) to make it available across
      exec().

      If file descriptor created by a subsystem is not tied to
      the current process resources, it's likely legal to use it
      in a different process context, thus O_CLOEXEC must not be
      the default.

      If one, as a subsystem maintainer, cannot tell for sure
      that no userspace program ever rely current behavior, eg.
      file descriptor being inherited across exec(), then the
      default flag *must* be kept 0 to not break application.

- This subsystem cannot be turned to use O_CLOEXEC by default:

If O_CLOEXEC cannot be made the default, it would be interesting
to think to extend the API to have a (set of) function(s) taking
a flag parameter so that userspace can atomically request
close-on-exec if it need it (and it should need it !).

- Background:

One might want to read "Secure File Descriptor Handling" [2] by
Ulrich Drepper who is responsible of adding O_CLOEXEC flag on
open(), and flags alike on other syscalls.

One might also want to read PEP-446 "Make newly created file
descriptors non-inheritable" [3] by Victor Stinner since it has
lot more background information on file descriptor leaking.

One would also like to read "Excuse me son, but your code is
leaking !!!" [4] by Dan Walsh for advice.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/412131/
[2] http://udrepper.livejournal.com/20407.html
[3] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0446/
[4] http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/53603.html

- Statistics:

In linux-next, tag next-20140924, they're currently:

- 33 calls to fd_install()
       with one call part of anon_inode_getfd()
- 26 calls to get_unused_fd_flags()
       with one call part of anon_inode_getfd()
       with another part of get_unused_fd() macro
- 11 calls to anon_inode_getfd()
-  8 calls to anon_inode_getfile()
       with one call part of anon_inode_getfd()
-  6 calls to get_unused_fd()

Changes from patchset v7 [PATCHSETv7]

- Rebased on top of latest -next
- Simplified commit message for trivial patches
- Proofread commit messages
- Addded CC: [email-masked]

Changes from patchset v6 [PATCHSETv6]

- Rebased on top of latest -next
- Added Cc: [email-masked] for the first trivials
  patches.

Changes from patchset v5 [PATCHSETv5]

- perf: introduce a flag to enable close-on-exec in
  perf_event_open()
  DROPPED: applied upstream, commit a21b0b354d4a.

Changes from patchset v4 [PATCHSETv4]:

- rewrote cover letter following discussion with perf
  maintainer. Thanks to Peter Zijlstra.

- modified a bit some commit messages.

- events: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: replaced by following patch.

- perf: introduce a flag to enable close-on-exec in
  perf_event_open()
  NEW: instead of hard coding the flags to 0, this patch
       allows userspace to specify close-on-exec flag.

- fanotify: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: replaced by following patch.

- fanotify: enable close-on-exec on events' fd when requested in
    fanotify_init()
  NEW: instead of hard coding the flags to 0, this patch
       enable close-on-exec if userspace request it.

Changes from patchset v3 [PATCHSETv3]:

- industrialio: use anon_inode_getfd() with O_CLOEXEC flag
  DROPPED: applied upstream, commit a646fbf0fd11.

Changes from patchset v2 [PATCHSETv2]:

- android/sw_sync: use get_unused_fd_flags(O_CLOEXEC) instead
  of get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: applied upstream, commit 45acea57335e.

- android/sync: use get_unused_fd_flags(O_CLOEXEC) instead of
  get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: applied upstream, commit 9c6cd3b39048.

- vfio: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: applied upstream, commit a5d550703d2c.
  Additionally subsystem maintainer applied another patch on top
  to set the flags to O_CLOEXEC, commit 5d042fbdbb2d.

- industrialio: use anon_inode_getfd() with O_CLOEXEC flag
  NEW: propose to use O_CLOEXEC as default flag.

Changes from patchset v1 [PATCHSETv1]:

- explicitly added subsystem maintainers as mail recepients.

- infiniband: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of
  get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: subsystem maintainer applied another patch
           using get_unused_fd_flags(O_CLOEXEC) as suggested,
	   commit da183c7af844.

- android/sw_sync: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of
  get_unused_fd()
  MODIFIED: use get_unused_fd_flags(O_CLOEXEC) as suggested.

- android/sync: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of
  get_unused_fd()
  MODIFIED: use get_unused_fd_flags(O_CLOEXEC) as suggested.

- xfs: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: applied asis by subsystem maintainer, commit 862a62937e76.

- sctp: use get_unused_fd_flags(0) instead of get_unused_fd()
  DROPPED: applied asis by subsystem maintainer, commit 8a59bd3e9b29.

Links:

[PATCHSETv7]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

[PATCHSETv6]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

[PATCHSETv5]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

[PATCHSETv4]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

[PATCHSETv3]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

[PATCHSETv2]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

[PATCHSETv1]
  http://lkml.kernel.org/r/[email-masked]

Yann Droneaud (6):
  fanotify: enable close-on-exec on events' fd when requested in
    fanotify_init()
  ia64: trivial: replace get_unused_fd() by get_unused_fd_flags(0)
  ppc/cell: trivial: replace get_unused_fd() by get_unused_fd_flags(0)
  binfmt_misc: trivial: replace get_unused_fd() by
    get_unused_fd_flags(0)
  file: trivial: replace get_unused_fd() by get_unused_fd_flags(0)
  file: remove get_unused_fd() macro

 arch/ia64/kernel/perfmon.c                | 2 +-
 arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spufs/inode.c | 4 ++--
 fs/binfmt_misc.c                          | 2 +-
 fs/file.c                                 | 2 +-
 fs/notify/fanotify/fanotify_user.c        | 2 +-
 include/linux/file.h                      | 1 -
 6 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

-- 
1.9.3