Subject: [PATCH v5 00/12]

From: Sam Bobroff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 14:48:04 +1000

Hi all,

Here is v5, with a complete rewrite of the commit message for patch 1, and the
inclusion of three patches from another set which are based on this set
(previously titled "EEH fixes 4").

Cover letter:

This patch set adds support for EEH recovery of hot plugged devices on pSeries
machines. Specifically, devices discovered by PCI rescanning using
/sys/bus/pci/rescan, which includes devices hotplugged by QEMU's device_add
command. (Upstream Linux pSeries guests running under QEMU/KVM don't currently
use slot power control for hotplugging.)

As a side effect this also provides EEH support for devices removed by
/sys/bus/pci/devices/*/remove and re-discovered by writing to /sys/bus/pci/rescan,
on all platforms.

The approach I've taken is to use the fact that the existing
pcibios_bus_add_device() platform hooks (which are used to set up EEH on
Virtual Function devices (VFs)) are actually called for all devices, so I've
widened their scope and made other adjustments necessary to allow them to work
for hotplugged and boot-time devices as well.

Because some of the changes are in generic PowerPC code, it's
possible that I've disturbed something for another PowerPC platform. I've tried
to minimize this by leaving that code alone as much as possible and so there
are a few cases where eeh_add_device_{early,late}() or eeh_add_sysfs_files() is
called more than once. I think these can be looked at later, as duplicate calls
are not harmful.

The first patch is a rework of the pcibios_init reordering patch I posted
earlier, which I've included here because it's necessary for this set.

I have done some testing for PowerNV on Power9 using a modified pnv_php module
and some testing on pSeries with slot power control using a modified rpaphp
module, and the EEH-related parts seem to work.

Cheers,
Sam.

Patch set changelog follows:

Patch set v5: 
Patch 1/12: powerpc/64: Adjust order in pcibios_init()
- Complete rewrite of commit message based on more research.
Patch 2/12: powerpc/eeh: Clear stale EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER flag
Patch 3/12: powerpc/eeh: Improve debug messages around device addition
Patch 4/12: powerpc/eeh: Initialize EEH address cache earlier
Patch 5/12: powerpc/eeh: EEH for pSeries hot plug
Patch 6/12: powerpc/eeh: Refactor around eeh_probe_devices()
Patch 7/12: powerpc/eeh: Add bdfn field to eeh_dev
Patch 8/12: powerpc/eeh: Introduce EEH edev logging macros
Patch 9/12: powerpc/eeh: Convert log messages to eeh_edev_* macros
Patch 10/12 (new in this version): powerpc/eeh: Fix crash when edev->pdev changes
Patch 11/12 (new in this version): powerpc/eeh: Remove unused return path from eeh_pe_dev_traverse()
Patch 12/12 (new in this version): powerpc/eeh: Slightly simplify eeh_add_to_parent_pe()

Patch set v4: 
Patch 1/9: powerpc/64: Adjust order in pcibios_init()
Patch 2/9: powerpc/eeh: Clear stale EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER flag
Patch 3/9: powerpc/eeh: Improve debug messages around device addition
Patch 4/9: powerpc/eeh: Initialize EEH address cache earlier
Patch 5/9: powerpc/eeh: EEH for pSeries hot plug
Patch 6/9: powerpc/eeh: Refactor around eeh_probe_devices()
Patch 7/9: powerpc/eeh: Add bdfn field to eeh_dev
Patch 8/9: powerpc/eeh: Introduce EEH edev logging macros
Patch 9/9: powerpc/eeh: Convert log messages to eeh_edev_* macros
- Fixed compile warning when compiling without CONFIG_IOV.

Patch set v3: 
Patch 1/9: powerpc/64: Adjust order in pcibios_init()
Patch 2/9: powerpc/eeh: Clear stale EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER flag
Patch 3/9: powerpc/eeh: Improve debug messages around device addition
Patch 4/9: powerpc/eeh: Initialize EEH address cache earlier
Patch 5/9: powerpc/eeh: EEH for pSeries hot plug
Patch 6/9: powerpc/eeh: Refactor around eeh_probe_devices()
Patch 7/9 (new in this version): powerpc/eeh: Add bdfn field to eeh_dev
Patch 8/9 (new in this version): powerpc/eeh: Introduce EEH edev logging macros
Patch 9/9 (new in this version): powerpc/eeh: Convert log messages to eeh_edev_* macros

Patch set v2: 
Patch 1/6: powerpc/64: Adjust order in pcibios_init()
Patch 2/6: powerpc/eeh: Clear stale EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER flag
* Also clear EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER in eeh_handle_special_event().
Patch 3/6 (was 4/8): powerpc/eeh: Improve debug messages around device addition
Patch 4/6 (was 6/8): powerpc/eeh: Initialize EEH address cache earlier
Patch 5/6 (was 3/8 and 7/8): powerpc/eeh: EEH for pSeries hot plug
- Dropped changes to the PowerNV PHB EEH flag, instead refactor just enough to
  use the existing flag from multiple places.
- Merge the little remaining work from the above change into the patch where
  it's used.
Patch 6/6 (was 5/8 and 8/8): powerpc/eeh: Refactor around eeh_probe_devices()
- As it's so small, merged the enablement message patch into this one (where it's used).
- Reworked enablement messages.

Patch set v1:
Patch 1/8: powerpc/64: Adjust order in pcibios_init()
Patch 2/8: powerpc/eeh: Clear stale EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER flag
Patch 3/8: powerpc/eeh: Convert PNV_PHB_FLAG_EEH to global flag
Patch 4/8: powerpc/eeh: Improve debug messages around device addition
Patch 5/8: powerpc/eeh: Add eeh_show_enabled()
Patch 6/8: powerpc/eeh: Initialize EEH address cache earlier
Patch 7/8: powerpc/eeh: EEH for pSeries hot plug
Patch 8/8: powerpc/eeh: Remove eeh_probe_devices() and eeh_addr_cache_build()

Oliver O'Halloran (1):
  powerpc/eeh: Add bdfn field to eeh_dev

Sam Bobroff (11):
  powerpc/64: Adjust order in pcibios_init()
  powerpc/eeh: Clear stale EEH_DEV_NO_HANDLER flag
  powerpc/eeh: Improve debug messages around device addition
  powerpc/eeh: Initialize EEH address cache earlier
  powerpc/eeh: EEH for pSeries hot plug
  powerpc/eeh: Refactor around eeh_probe_devices()
  powerpc/eeh: Introduce EEH edev logging macros
  powerpc/eeh: Convert log messages to eeh_edev_* macros
  powerpc/eeh: Fix crash when edev->pdev changes
  powerpc/eeh: Remove unused return path from eeh_pe_dev_traverse()
  powerpc/eeh: Slightly simplify eeh_add_to_parent_pe()

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/eeh.h               |  27 ++--
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/ppc-pci.h           |   7 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh.c                    |  66 ++++------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh_cache.c              |  37 ++----
 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh_dev.c                |   2 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh_driver.c             | 105 ++++++++--------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh_pe.c                 | 122 +++++++------------
 arch/powerpc/kernel/of_platform.c            |   3 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/pci-common.c             |   4 -
 arch/powerpc/kernel/pci_32.c                 |   4 +
 arch/powerpc/kernel/pci_64.c                 |  12 +-
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/eeh-powernv.c |  56 +++++----
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/eeh_pseries.c |  68 ++++++-----
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/pci.c         |   3 +-
 14 files changed, 238 insertions(+), 278 deletions(-)

-- 
2.22.0.216.g00a2a96fc9