Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] powerpc/eeh: Release EEH device state synchronously

From: Sam Bobroff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 15:47:38 +1000

Hi everyone,

Here are some fixes and cleanups that have come from other work but that I
think stand on their own.

Only one patch ("Release EEH device state synchronously", suggested by Oliver
O'Halloran) is a significant change: it moves the cleanup of some EEH device
data out of the (possibly asynchronous) device release handler and into the
(synchronously called) bus notifier. This is useful for future work as it makes
it easier to reason about the lifetimes of EEH structures.

Note that I've left a few WARN_ON_ONCEs in the code because I'm paranoid, but I
have not been able to hit them during testing.

Cheers,
Sam.

Notes for v2:

I've dropped both cleanup patches (3/4, 4/4) because that type of cleanup
(replacing a call to eeh_rmv_from_parent_pe() with one to eeh_remove_device())
is incorrect: if called during recovery, it will cause edev->pe to remain set
when it would have been cleared previously. This would lead to stale
information in the edev. I think there should be a way to simplify the code
around EEH_PE_KEEP but I'll look at that separately.

Patch set changelog follows:

Patch set v2: 
Patch 1/2: powerpc/eeh: fix pseries_eeh_configure_bridge()
Patch 2/2: powerpc/eeh: Release EEH device state synchronously
- Added comment explaining why the add case can't be handled similarly to the remove case.
Dropped (was 3/4) powerpc/eeh: Remove workaround from eeh_add_device_late()
Dropped (was 4/4) powerpc/eeh: Clean up edev cleanup for VFs

Patch set v1:
Patch 1/4: powerpc/eeh: fix pseries_eeh_configure_bridge()
Patch 2/4: powerpc/eeh: Release EEH device state synchronously
Patch 3/4: powerpc/eeh: Remove workaround from eeh_add_device_late()
Patch 4/4: powerpc/eeh: Clean up edev cleanup for VFs

Sam Bobroff (2):
  powerpc/eeh: fix pseries_eeh_configure_bridge()
  powerpc/eeh: Release EEH device state synchronously

 arch/powerpc/kernel/eeh.c                    | 31 ++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/powerpc/kernel/pci-hotplug.c            |  2 --
 arch/powerpc/platforms/pseries/eeh_pseries.c |  2 +-
 3 files changed, 32 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

-- 
2.22.0.216.g00a2a96fc9