Subject: [RFC PATCH v1 0/4] powerpc: apm82181: adding customer devices

From: Christian Lamparter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 00:41:49 +0200

Hello,

I've been holding on to these devices dts' for a while now.
But ever since the recent purge of the PPC405, I'm feeling
the urge to move forward.

The devices in question have been running with OpenWrt since
around 2016/2017. Back then it was linux v4.4 and required
many out-of-tree patches (for WIFI, SATA, CRYPTO...), that
since have been integrated. So, there's nothing else in the
way I think.

Now, I've looked around in the arch/powerpc for recent .dts
and device submissions to get an understanding of what is
required.
>From the looks of it, it seems like every device gets a
skeleton defconfig and a CONFIG_$DEVICE symbol (Like:
CONFIG_MERAKI_MR24, CONFIG_WD_MYBOOKLIVE).

Will this be the case? Or would it make sense to further
unite the Bluestone, MR24 and MBL under a common CONFIG_APM82181
and integrate the BLUESTONE device's defconfig into it as well?
(I've stumbled accross the special machine compatible
handling of ppc in the Documentation/devicetree/usage-model.rst
already.)

Cheers,
Christian

Note:
If someone has a WD MyBook Live (DUO) and is interested in
giving it a spin with 5.8. I've made a:
"build your own Debian System" sort of script that can be
found on github: <https://github.com/chunkeey/mbl-debian>
(the only remaining patch hack is for debian's make-kpkg crossbuild)

Furthermore, the OpenWrt project currently has images for the
following apm82181 devices:
 Cisco Meraki MX60(W) - Needs DSA for the AR8327
 Netgear WNDAP620/WNDAP660 - (Could be next)
 Netgear WNDR4700 - Needs DSA for the AR8327

Note2: I do have a stash of extensive APM82181 related documentation.

Christian Lamparter (4):
  powerpc: apm82181: create shared dtsi for APM bluestone
  powerpc: apm82181: add WD MyBook Live NAS
  powerpc: apm82181: add Meraki MR24 AP
  powerpc: apm82181: integrate bluestone.dts

 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/apm82181.dtsi        | 485 +++++++++++++++++++++
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/bluestone.dts        | 456 +++++--------------
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/meraki-mr24.dts      | 237 ++++++++++
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/wd-mybooklive.dts    | 199 +++++++++
 arch/powerpc/platforms/44x/ppc44x_simple.c |   4 +-
 5 files changed, 1033 insertions(+), 348 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/apm82181.dtsi
 create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/meraki-mr24.dts
 create mode 100644 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/wd-mybooklive.dts

-- 
2.28.0