Subject: [PATCH 0/7] Allocate module text and data separately

From: Christophe Leroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:22:11 +0000

This series allow architectures to request having modules data in
vmalloc area instead of module area.

This is required on powerpc book3s/32 in order to set data non
executable, because it is not possible to set executability on page
basis, this is done per 256 Mbytes segments. The module area has exec
right, vmalloc area has noexec.

This can also be useful on other powerpc/32 in order to maximize the
chance of code being close enough to kernel core to avoid branch
trampolines.

Christophe Leroy (7):
  modules: Refactor within_module_core() and within_module_init()
  modules: Add within_module_text() macro
  modules: Always have struct mod_tree_root
  modules: Prepare for handling several RB trees
  modules: Introduce data_layout
  modules: Add CONFIG_ARCH_WANTS_MODULES_DATA_IN_VMALLOC
  powerpc: Select ARCH_WANTS_MODULES_DATA_IN_VMALLOC on book3s/32 and
    8xx

 arch/Kconfig                |   6 ++
 arch/powerpc/Kconfig        |   1 +
 include/linux/module.h      |  38 ++++++-
 kernel/debug/kdb/kdb_main.c |  10 +-
 kernel/module.c             | 207 ++++++++++++++++++++++++------------
 5 files changed, 186 insertions(+), 76 deletions(-)

-- 
2.33.1