Subject: [PATCH v1 00/22] powerpc: ftrace optimisation and cleanup and more [v1]

From: Christophe Leroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:29:50 +0100

This series provides optimisation and cleanup of ftrace on powerpc.

With this series ftrace activation is about 20% faster on an 8xx.

At the end of the series come additional cleanups around ppc-opcode,
that would likely conflict with this series if posted separately.

Christophe Leroy (22):
  powerpc/ftrace: Refactor prepare_ftrace_return()
  powerpc/ftrace: Remove redundant create_branch() calls
  powerpc/code-patching: Inline is_offset_in_{cond}_branch_range()
  powerpc/ftrace: Use is_offset_in_branch_range()
  powerpc/code-patching: Inline create_branch()
  powerpc/ftrace: Inline ftrace_modify_code()
  powerpc/ftrace: Use patch_instruction() return directly
  powerpc/ftrace: Make __ftrace_make_{nop/call}() common to PPC32 and
    PPC64
  powerpc/ftrace: Don't include ftrace.o for CONFIG_FTRACE_SYSCALLS
  powerpc/ftrace: Use CONFIG_FUNCTION_TRACER instead of
    CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE
  powerpc/ftrace: Remove ftrace_plt_tramps[]
  powerpc/ftrace: Use BRANCH_SET_LINK instead of value 1
  powerpc/ftrace: Use PPC_RAW_xxx() macros instead of opencoding.
  powerpc/ftrace: Use size macro instead of opencoding
  powerpc/ftrace: Simplify expected_nop_sequence()
  powerpc/ftrace: Minimise number of #ifdefs
  powerpc/inst: Add __copy_inst_from_kernel_nofault()
  powerpc/ftrace: Don't use copy_from_kernel_nofault() in
    module_trampoline_target()
  powerpc/inst: Remove PPC_INST_BRANCH
  powerpc/modules: Use PPC_INST_BRANCH_MASK instead of opencoding
  powerpc/inst: Remove PPC_INST_BL
  powerpc/opcodes: Remove unused PPC_INST_XXX macros

 arch/powerpc/include/asm/book3s/32/pgtable.h |   2 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/book3s/64/pgtable.h |   2 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/code-patching.h     |  53 ++-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/inst.h              |  13 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/module.h            |   6 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/nohash/pgtable.h    |   2 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/ppc-opcode.h        |  20 +-
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/sections.h          |  24 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/module_32.c              |  29 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/module_64.c              |  10 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/Makefile           |   5 +-
 arch/powerpc/kernel/trace/ftrace.c           | 390 ++++++-------------
 arch/powerpc/lib/code-patching.c             |  47 ---
 arch/powerpc/lib/feature-fixups.c            |   2 +-
 arch/powerpc/net/bpf_jit.h                   |   2 +-
 15 files changed, 229 insertions(+), 378 deletions(-)

-- 
2.35.1