Subject: [PATCH v2 0/3] Add dependencies of POWER_RESET for MIPS Malta, x86, and PowerMac

From: Yuan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 10:42:36 +0800

These patches are to add dependencies of POWER_RESET for MIPS Malta, x86,
and PowerMac.

I am really sorry I forget to use --thread in v1[1] as I stayed up too
late. So here I am resending v2 patch with a mirror fix and
consolidating them into a thread.

To simplify the enablement of the poweroff support, selecting the
required options for CONFIG_POWER_RESET=y may make many people happy
especially when they are using a customized config (maybe tinyconfig
based) for a target qemu board. Without normal poweroff support from the
kernel side, qemu will simply hang[2] there after a 'poweroff' command,
which is a very bad experience for the automatical tests.

Currently, based on tinyconfig, it is very hard to find the exact
poweroff options[3]. Some architectures' poweroff works well without
any dependence, the others' poweroff options are hidden deeply, which
make things hard.

After multiple verifications, these options have been identified as the
minimum dependencies required for poweroff to function normally.

Zhangjin and I invested a significant amount of time in searching for
the current options on these devices. We hope that this set of patches
will save time for others. If community like it, we will consider adding
dependencies for POWER_RESET on other devices.

---
[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/
[3]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

---
Changes since v1:
- Fix the mistake of using spaces instead of tabs in kconfig.

Yuan Tan (3):
  kconfig: add dependencies of POWER_RESET for mips malta
  kconfig: add dependencies of POWER_RESET for x86
  kconfig: add dependencies of POWER_RESET for PowerMac

 arch/mips/Kconfig                       | 3 +++
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/Kconfig | 1 +
 arch/x86/Kconfig                        | 2 ++
 3 files changed, 6 insertions(+)

-- 
2.34.1