Subject: [PATCH v3 0/3] Kconfig: Add dependencies of POWER_RESET for pmac32

From: Yuan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 18:09:55 +0800

These patches are to add dependencies of POWER_RESET for pmac32.

As I have to use "savedefconfig" on the latest branch of different
architectures, I am sending separate patches for each architecture in v3.

To simplify the enablement of the poweroff support, selecting the
required options for CONFIG_POWER_RESET=y may make many people happy
especially when they are using a customized config (maybe tinyconfig
based) for a target qemu board. Without normal poweroff support from the
kernel side, qemu will simply hang[1] there after a 'poweroff' command,
which is a very bad experience for the automatical tests.

However, CONFIG_POWER_RESET is ineffective if there are no
dependencies that enable certain devices in Kconfig.

Currently, based on tinyconfig, it is very hard to find the exact
poweroff related option[2]. Some architectures' poweroff works well without
any dependence, the others' poweroff options are hidden deeply, which
make things hard.

After multiple verifications, these options have been identified as the
minimum dependencies required for poweroff to function normally.
Additionally, 'make savedefconfig' simplifies the defconfig
automatically.

Zhangjin and I invested a significant amount of time in searching for
the current options on these devices. We hope that this set of patches
will save time for others. If community like it, we will consider adding
dependencies for POWER_RESET on other devices.

We hope every device's CONFIG_POWER_RESET will have proper dependencies. :)

---
[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email-masked]/
[2]: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

v1: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
v2: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

---
Changes in v2:
- Fix the mistake of using spaces instead of tabs in kconfig.

Changes in v3:
- Enable POWER_RESET and simplify the deconfig.
- Select ADB_CUDA in PPC_PMAC32 only.

Yuan Tan (3):
  powerpc/config: Cleanup pmac32_defconfig
  Kconfig: Add dependencies of POWER_RESET for pmac32
  powerpc/config: Simplify pmac32_defconfig

 arch/powerpc/configs/pmac32_defconfig   | 46 +++++++++++--------------
 arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/Kconfig |  1 +
 2 files changed, 21 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)

base-commit: 0bb80ecc33a8fb5a682236443c1e740d5c917d1d
-- 
2.34.1