Subject: [PATCH v1 00/16] dma-mapping: migrate to physical address-based API

From: Leon Romanovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2025 15:42:34 +0300

Changelog:
v1:
 * Added new DMA_ATTR_MMIO attribute to indicate
   PCI_P2PDMA_MAP_THRU_HOST_BRIDGE path.
 * Rewrote dma_map_* functions to use thus new attribute
v0: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This series refactors the DMA mapping to use physical addresses
as the primary interface instead of page+offset parameters. This
change aligns the DMA API with the underlying hardware reality where
DMA operations work with physical addresses, not page structures.

The series maintains export symbol backward compatibility by keeping
the old page-based API as wrapper functions around the new physical
address-based implementations.

Thanks

Leon Romanovsky (16):
  dma-mapping: introduce new DMA attribute to indicate MMIO memory
  iommu/dma: handle MMIO path in dma_iova_link
  dma-debug: refactor to use physical addresses for page mapping
  dma-mapping: rename trace_dma_*map_page to trace_dma_*map_phys
  iommu/dma: rename iommu_dma_*map_page to iommu_dma_*map_phys
  iommu/dma: extend iommu_dma_*map_phys API to handle MMIO memory
  dma-mapping: convert dma_direct_*map_page to be phys_addr_t based
  kmsan: convert kmsan_handle_dma to use physical addresses
  dma-mapping: handle MMIO flow in dma_map|unmap_page
  xen: swiotlb: Open code map_resource callback
  dma-mapping: export new dma_*map_phys() interface
  mm/hmm: migrate to physical address-based DMA mapping API
  mm/hmm: properly take MMIO path
  block-dma: migrate to dma_map_phys instead of map_page
  block-dma: properly take MMIO path
  nvme-pci: unmap MMIO pages with appropriate interface

 Documentation/core-api/dma-api.rst        |   4 +-
 Documentation/core-api/dma-attributes.rst |   7 ++
 arch/powerpc/kernel/dma-iommu.c           |   4 +-
 block/blk-mq-dma.c                        |  15 ++-
 drivers/iommu/dma-iommu.c                 |  69 +++++++------
 drivers/nvme/host/pci.c                   |  18 +++-
 drivers/virtio/virtio_ring.c              |   4 +-
 drivers/xen/swiotlb-xen.c                 |  21 +++-
 include/linux/blk-mq-dma.h                |   6 +-
 include/linux/blk_types.h                 |   2 +
 include/linux/dma-direct.h                |   2 -
 include/linux/dma-map-ops.h               |   8 +-
 include/linux/dma-mapping.h               |  27 +++++
 include/linux/iommu-dma.h                 |  11 +--
 include/linux/kmsan.h                     |  12 ++-
 include/trace/events/dma.h                |   9 +-
 kernel/dma/debug.c                        |  71 ++++---------
 kernel/dma/debug.h                        |  37 ++-----
 kernel/dma/direct.c                       |  22 +----
 kernel/dma/direct.h                       |  50 ++++++----
 kernel/dma/mapping.c                      | 115 +++++++++++++---------
 kernel/dma/ops_helpers.c                  |   6 +-
 mm/hmm.c                                  |  19 ++--
 mm/kmsan/hooks.c                          |  36 +++++--
 rust/kernel/dma.rs                        |   3 +
 tools/virtio/linux/kmsan.h                |   2 +-
 26 files changed, 320 insertions(+), 260 deletions(-)

-- 
2.50.1