Subject: [PATCH v2 0/3] PCI: Universal error recoverability of devices

From: Lukas Wunner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2025 09:50:00 +0100

This series intends to replace commit 1dc302f7fccc ("PCI: Ensure error
recoverability at all times") on the pci/err topic branch:

https://git.kernel.org/pci/pci/c/1dc302f7fccc

The commit is assigning "dev->state_saved = false" in pci_bus_add_device()
and during review there were requests to explain the assignment more
clearly in a code comment.

However the assignment is (only) necessitated by missing assignments in
pci_legacy_suspend() and pci_pm_freeze(), so I propose to instead add
*those* assignments (patch [1/3]) and thus avoid the need for the
assignment in pci_bus_add_device(), together with its code comment.

Furthermore the commit is *removing* an assignment in pci_device_add().
I am separating that out to new patch [2/3].

So patch [3/3] is identical to the commit, but without the addition
of an assignment in pci_bus_add_device() and without the removal
of an assignment in pci_device_add().

I am looking into improving the documentation on pci_save_state()
in a separate series.

Lukas Wunner (3):
  PCI/PM: Reinstate clearing state_saved in legacy and !pm codepaths
  PCI/PM: Stop needlessly clearing state_saved on enumeration and thaw
  PCI/ERR: Ensure error recoverability at all times

 drivers/pci/bus.c        | 3 +++
 drivers/pci/pci-driver.c | 6 ++++--
 drivers/pci/pci.c        | 3 ---
 drivers/pci/probe.c      | 2 --
 4 files changed, 7 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

-- 
2.51.0