Subject: Re: OF compatible MTD platform RAM driver ?

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:12:00 +0200

>> "memory-mapped-memory" perhaps :-)
>
>> Or, just "memory".  Although that one might play havoc with some
>
>    I'd suggest "ram" and "rom" then. Luckily the device trees don't 
> contain binding for the real RAM chips yet. :-)
>
>> not-quite-correct main memory probing code.
>
>    You mean the there's parsers that search the "compatible" prop for 
> "memory" as well as "device_type" prop?

There are parsers that make all kinds of mistakes, sure.

The code that figures out what region of ram to use should look at the
node pointed to by /chosen/memory, it's shouldn't look for anything
with a certain "compatible", and it shouldn't look at "device_type"
_at all_.

Segher