Subject: Re: make install on ppc

From: Hollis Blanchard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:43:16 -0600

On Mar 26, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Brent Cook wrote:

> On Sunday 26 March 2006 19:42, Jin Qi Huang wrote:
>> I also think the 'make install' is very useful, now on ia32, the 'make
>> install' provided by the latest kernel linux-2.6.16 not only create
>> initrd, copy vmlinuz and System.map to /boot directory, but also 
>> update
>> grub, ppc32 does not provide this useful feature, maybe it is a pity!

The feature sounds like a good idea to me, even if it's just the 
copying files part. Do any PPC distros provide a working installkernel 
script?

> Maybe narrow it to define 'make install' for new world/old world 
> Macintoshes,
> or IBM machines? I can't see a generic make install being useful for 
> the
> wider range of platforms that fall under ppc.
>
> 'make install' appears to me to be very platform dependent. Sure, on 
> x86, you
> can reasonably assume that the majority of systems have the kernel on 
> a disk
> under /boot and the bootloader is grub or lilo. I have 5 ppc machines
> currently, and no two use the same bootloader or kernel image. I've 
> seen
> u-boot, yaboot, quik, powerboot (Motorola/Force), xmon (XES) and more, 
> and
> they all required different post-processing to the kernel image to 
> boot. For
> most of these, there is no way to programmatically guess where a 
> particular
> kernel image should go to work with the boot loader.

If you have an unusual platform, don't run make install and you have 
lost nothing... :)

-Hollis