Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/8] Add uli1575 pci-bridge sector to MPC8641HPCN dts file.

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:18:52 +0200

>> They aren't -that- good when you come out of the blue and don't know
>> where to start. I think a tutorial based on building a tree for an
>> example board step by step would be best.
>
> There seems to be two things that causes problems:

0) The lack of good, clear, exhaustive, and recipe-style
documentation.

> 1) People basing their new tree on an old example that's broken, and
> getting crap for that because it's not correct

Yeah.

> 2) Trying to add new devices that aren't in any trees already, and
> the near infinite discussions that then start.

This is a *good* thing (as long as it's productive) --
it simply is a lot of work to define a good device binding
for non-trivial devices.

> (2) I don't have a good solution for. Better documentation pointers 
> would
> definitely be a help, but it's not the whole solution. I'd expect it to
> get better and better over time as there'll be less and less unmapped
> terrain, and better and better examples to use.

We can only hope :-)

Segher