Subject: Re: SATA hang on 8315E triggered by heavy flash write?

From: Anthony Foiani <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 09:10:57 -0600

Shaohui --

Xie Shaohui-B21989 <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for the confirmation. 

You're very welcome.

> So it seems the NOR write break the signal Integrity of SATA.
> I don't have schematic and board right now, could you please measure
> signals related to NOR write to see if anything abnormal? Is the board
> use FPGA or CPLD to control signal?

I'll have to pass these questions on to my hardware vendor; I'm not
equipped to do this level of hardware debugging (neither hardware nor
knowledge!).

> If stop NOR write, could the SATA recover and work?

Earlier in my development, I was seeing this error and it would
recover:

  ata2: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0xe frozen
  ata2: PHY RDY changed
  ata2: hard resetting link
  ata2: Signature Update detected @ 0 msecs
  ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
  ata2.00: configured for UDMA/133
  ata2: EH complete

At the current time, however, it seems that it does not recover.

I don't know whether this is due to the speed limiting code, or if
it's because we are doing more disk accesses (when the actual product
is up and running).

I can re-do the tests with the speed limit disabled, but I won't be
able to get to that for a few hours yet.  You can read about the speed
limit issues in this thread:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.embedded/50652

And my final patch (yes, a year later):

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.embedded/58969

Please don't laugh too hard when you read it.  :)

Thanks again for your help.  I'll try to get the results of testing
w/o speed limit to you within a day or two.

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani