Subject: Re: ppc/sata-fsl: orphan config value: CONFIG_MPC8315_DS

From: Anthony Foiani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 14:52:09 -0600

Scott Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> We currently support building one kernel that supports a bunch of
> different boards.  The hardcoding of this workaround was harmless so
> far because it was conditional on a symbol that was never defined,
> but now you'll be enabling this workaround on any kernel that simply
> has support for mpc8315erdb.  That is not acceptable unless you show
> it's harmless on all those other boards.

Ok, I see your point now.  Sorry for being dense.

At the moment, I'm building a kernel that is only going to run on this
particular board, so the kconfig solution works *for me*.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can help develop a more generic
solution.  I can't reliably reproduce the problem, so I can't even
offer to help test for it.

Even more unfortunately, I don't currently have the bandwidth to do
any more investigation or experimenting with the devtree option (as
much as I would like to!).  At this point in my project, I probably
can't even justify trying to switch to a more current kernel, so I
couldn't try out a new release regardless.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Thanks again,
Tony