Subject: Re: ppc/sata-fsl: orphan config value: CONFIG_MPC8315_DS

From: Anthony Foiani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 02:03:14 -0600

Scott Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, 2013-08-23 at 17:41 -0600, Anthony Foiani wrote:
> > In my original patch [...]  I used "fsl,sata-max-gen".  I thought
> > Jeff disliked it, so I changed it be more generic -- but maybe I
> > misread his complaint.  (And while his opinions are still
> > respected, new maintainers might have different tastes.)
>
> I didn't see anything to that effect from Jeff in that thread -- maybe
> it was elsewhere.

I think I'm referring to this message:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.embedded/58720

As he was referring me to generic methods, I inferred that I should be
providing generic knobs...

> The device tree describes the hardware, not the driver -- and thus
> should be free to use clearer wording. :-)

*nod*

> As for fsl-specific versus generic, generic is fine but then it
> needs to be documented in a generic place.

Agreed.  I actually prefer the "generation" nomenclature, as it has a
more direct/straightforward interpretation.  ("speed=1" vs
"generation=1"; the latter is a much bigger clue, IMHO.)

> Sorry, linux-ide.

Ok, thanks.

I'll wait a few days to see if there are any other comments or
concerns, then I'll spin a final version

As always, thanks for the review and insight!

Best regards,
Anthony Foiani