Subject: Re: ppc/sata-fsl: orphan config value: CONFIG_MPC8315_DS

From: Anthony Foiani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:07:16 -0600

Scott Wood <[email-masked]> writes:

> CONFIG_MPC831x_RDB doesn't mean that you're running on such a board,
> only that the kernel supports those boards.  It should be a runtime
> test.

Point taken.

If that SATA check is CPU/SOC-based, then it should be easy enough to
test.  The cpuinfo for my board is:

  # cat /proc/cpuinfo
  processor       : 0
  cpu             : e300c3
  clock           : 266.666664MHz
  revision        : 2.0 (pvr 8085 0020)
  bogomips        : 66.66
  timebase        : 33333333

On the other hand, if the problem is actually caused by board trace
routing (or other hardware that's outside the control of the CPU/SOC),
then I don't know how possible a runtime check will be.

Do you know if there is a specific errata that the MPC8315_DS ran
across that required this fix, or was it a band-aid in the first
place?

Either way, thanks for looking into this.

Thanks,
Tony