Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/3] Kernel handling of Dynamic Logical Partitioning

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:41:15 -0800

Nathan Fontenot <[email-masked]> writes:

> version 2 of the patch set with updates from comments.
>
> The Dynamic Logical Partitioning (DLPAR) capabilities of the powerpc pseries
> platform allows for the addition and removal of resources (i.e. cpus,
> memory, pci devices) from a partition. The removal of a resource involves
> removing the resource's node from the device tree and then returning the
> resource to firmware via the rtas set-indicator call.  To add a resource, it
> is first obtained from firmware via the rtas set-indicator call and then a
> new device tree node is created using the ibm,configure-coinnector rtas call
> and added to the device tree.
>
> The following set of patches implements the needed infrastructure to have the
> kernel handle the DLPAR addition and removal of cpus (other DLPAR'able items to
> follow in future patches).  The framework for this is to create a set of
> probe/release sysfs files that will facilitate arch-specific call-outs to handle
> addition and removal of cpus to the system.

How does this differ from /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX/online ?

>>From the descriptions it appears that we already have what you are trying to
add and you just need to tie it into DLPAR on ppc.

Eric