Subject: Re: [PATCH] perf kvm stat: Update the exit reason mappings

From: Ritesh Harjani (IBM) <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2026 09:33:10 +0530

++ linuxppc-dev

Gautam Menghani <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Tue, May 12, 2026 at 08:25:08AM -0700, Ian Rogers wrote:
>> On Tue, May 12, 2026 at 5:04 AM Gautam Menghani <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sync the exit reason mappings with the mappings in trace_book3s.h
>> 
>> I see:
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/powerpc/kvm/trace_book3s.h
>> Would it make sense to have a copy in perf and use the check headers
>> code to keep them in sync?
>> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/tools/perf/check-headers.sh
>
> I'll take a look at this, thanks
>
>> 
>> Could you add the commits that add the H_VIRT and H_FAC_UNAVAIL
>> definitions? I don't see them in Linus' tree yet.
>
> I posted that patch earlier today - https://lore.kernel.org/linuxppc-dev/[email-masked]/
> should've pasted the link in the patch
>

For patches not yet merged and having such a dependency, this could cause
confusion. What I generally tend to do in such case is, group this
patch (changes in tools/perf/util/kvm-stat-arch/book3s_hv_exits.h) into
the same series which adds H_FAC_UNAVAIL to trace_book3s.h [1].
This way it is easier for everyone to keep track of the dependencies.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/linuxppc-dev/[email-masked]/

Note, that we should still cc the relevant mailing lists, reviewers and
maintainers to get an Acked-by. Since the changes in this patch are
largely powerpc specific, so IMO, it should be ok even if it goes via
powerpc tree via a common series, as long as everyone agrees.

-ritesh