Subject: Re: [PATCH] pmac: sound support for latest laptops

From: Takashi Iwai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:21:24 +0200

At Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:07:29 +0200,
Johannes Berg wrote:
> 
> Hi,
> 
> >This patch hacks the current Alsa snd-powermac driver to add support for
> >recent machine models with the tas3004 chip, that is basically new
> >laptop models. The Mac Mini is _NOT_ yet supported by this patch (soon
> >soon ...). The G5s (iMac or Desktop) will need the rewritten sound
> >driver on which I'm working on (I _might_ get a hack for analog only on
> >some G5s on the current driver, but no promise).
> >  
> >
> That's cool. I do have one slight problem with it though: When I turn 
> down the Master mixer and up PCM it sounds badly overmodulated. I can 
> keep PCM at about 75% and turn up master, and all is fine. Would it make 
> sense to limit the PCM mixer to about 75% of its current limits, or how 
> does that actually work in the hardware?

This sounds like a problem sometimes seen in devices with a codec that
amplifies (+dB) over a certain level.  Some ac97 codecs have the same
problem, too.

Takashi