Subject: Re: v2.6.13.4 : Bad page state at prep_new_page when booting with quik

From: Marc Zyngier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:44:03 +0200

>>>>> "BenH" == Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email-masked]> writes:

BenH> Hrm... another thing you can do is have a look at the
BenH> init_bandit() routine. It does:

[...]

BenH> What is the value of "magic" in both cases ?

It says 0x17 in both case...

BenH> As for the rest, well, printing out the various addresses where
BenH> the kernel is copied and/or decompresses itself may help...

Will try that next. I also started diving into quik sources...

One more data point : kernel loaded with quik works just fine on a
7500 with a 604e@200 CPU. So it looks like it is some particular
firmware/hardware combinaison that triggers this failure mode.

BenH> Have you tried also netbooting directly vmlinux.coff ? (boot
BenH> enet: might work on OldWorld OF, you'll need a bootp server)
BenH> That works with some oldworlds, not all, depends if they have a
BenH> working ethernet driver in OF.

Nope. The poor thing doesn't even have an integrated ethernet to start
with (nor its official Apple counterpart)...

Stay tuned ;-)

	M.
-- 
And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there...