Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/10] alpha: use libata instead of the legacy ide driver

From: Måns Rullgård <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 17:09:02 +0000

Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 05:54:55AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 05:56:57AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> > Switch the alpha defconfig from the legacy ide driver to libata.
>> 
>> Umm...  I don't have an IDE alpha box in a usable shape (fans on
>> CPU module shat themselves), and it would take a while to resurrect
>> it, but I remember the joy it used to cause in some versions.
>> 
>> Do you have reports of libata variants of drivers actually tested on
>> those?
>
> No, I haven't.  The whole point is that we're not going to keep 40000
> lines of code around despite notice for users that don't exist or
> care.  If there is a regression we'll fix it, but we're not going to
> make life miserable just because we can.

The pata_ali driver works fine on my UP1500 machine, unless something
broke recently.  I'll build the latest kernel and report back.

-- 
Måns Rullgård