Subject: [syzbot] [hams?] possible deadlock in nr_rt_device_down (3)

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2024 11:32:32 -0700

Hello,

syzbot found the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    4c8002277167 fou: fix initialization of grc
git tree:       net
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=10513877980000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=660f6eb11f9c7dc5
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=ccdfb85a561b973219c7
compiler:       Debian clang version 15.0.6, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40

Unfortunately, I don't have any reproducer for this issue yet.

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/9058e311cdd1/disk-4c800227.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/1659255894d5/vmlinux-4c800227.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/04227ccb2e58/bzImage-4c800227.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

======================================================
WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
6.11.0-rc6-syzkaller-00180-g4c8002277167 #0 Not tainted
------------------------------------------------------
syz.1.4509/22182 is trying to acquire lock:
ffffffff8fde86d8 (nr_node_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}, at: spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
ffffffff8fde86d8 (nr_node_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}, at: nr_rt_device_down+0xb5/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:517

but task is already holding lock:
ffffffff8fde8678 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}, at: spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
ffffffff8fde8678 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}, at: nr_rt_device_down+0x28/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:514

which lock already depends on the new lock.

the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

-> #2 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}:
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5759
       __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
       _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
       spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
       nr_remove_neigh net/netrom/nr_route.c:307 [inline]
       nr_dec_obs net/netrom/nr_route.c:472 [inline]
       nr_rt_ioctl+0x398/0xfb0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:692
       sock_do_ioctl+0x158/0x460 net/socket.c:1222
       sock_ioctl+0x629/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1341
       vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
       __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:907 [inline]
       __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:893
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

-> #1 (&nr_node->node_lock){+...}-{2:2}:
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5759
       __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
       _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
       spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
       nr_node_lock include/net/netrom.h:152 [inline]
       nr_dec_obs net/netrom/nr_route.c:459 [inline]
       nr_rt_ioctl+0x192/0xfb0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:692
       sock_do_ioctl+0x158/0x460 net/socket.c:1222
       sock_ioctl+0x629/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1341
       vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
       __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:907 [inline]
       __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:893
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

-> #0 (nr_node_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}:
       check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3133 [inline]
       check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3252 [inline]
       validate_chain+0x18e0/0x5900 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3868
       __lock_acquire+0x137a/0x2040 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5142
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5759
       __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
       _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
       spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
       nr_rt_device_down+0xb5/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:517
       nr_device_event+0x134/0x150 net/netrom/af_netrom.c:126
       notifier_call_chain+0x19f/0x3e0 kernel/notifier.c:93
       call_netdevice_notifiers_extack net/core/dev.c:2032 [inline]
       call_netdevice_notifiers net/core/dev.c:2046 [inline]
       dev_close_many+0x33c/0x4c0 net/core/dev.c:1587
       dev_close+0x1c0/0x2c0 net/core/dev.c:1609
       bpq_device_event+0x372/0x8b0 drivers/net/hamradio/bpqether.c:547
       notifier_call_chain+0x19f/0x3e0 kernel/notifier.c:93
       __dev_notify_flags+0x207/0x400
       dev_change_flags+0xf0/0x1a0 net/core/dev.c:8915
       dev_ifsioc+0x7c8/0xe70 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:527
       dev_ioctl+0x719/0x1340 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:784
       sock_do_ioctl+0x240/0x460 net/socket.c:1236
       sock_ioctl+0x629/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1341
       vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
       __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:907 [inline]
       __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:893
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

other info that might help us debug this:

Chain exists of:
  nr_node_list_lock --> &nr_node->node_lock --> nr_neigh_list_lock

 Possible unsafe locking scenario:

       CPU0                    CPU1
       ----                    ----
  lock(nr_neigh_list_lock);
                               lock(&nr_node->node_lock);
                               lock(nr_neigh_list_lock);
  lock(nr_node_list_lock);

 *** DEADLOCK ***

2 locks held by syz.1.4509/22182:
 #0: ffffffff8fc8be48 (rtnl_mutex){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: dev_ioctl+0x706/0x1340 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:783
 #1: ffffffff8fde8678 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}, at: spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
 #1: ffffffff8fde8678 (nr_neigh_list_lock){+...}-{2:2}, at: nr_rt_device_down+0x28/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:514

stack backtrace:
CPU: 1 UID: 0 PID: 22182 Comm: syz.1.4509 Not tainted 6.11.0-rc6-syzkaller-00180-g4c8002277167 #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 08/06/2024
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:93 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:119
 check_noncircular+0x36a/0x4a0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:2186
 check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3133 [inline]
 check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3252 [inline]
 validate_chain+0x18e0/0x5900 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3868
 __lock_acquire+0x137a/0x2040 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5142
 lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5759
 __raw_spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock_api_smp.h:126 [inline]
 _raw_spin_lock_bh+0x35/0x50 kernel/locking/spinlock.c:178
 spin_lock_bh include/linux/spinlock.h:356 [inline]
 nr_rt_device_down+0xb5/0x7b0 net/netrom/nr_route.c:517
 nr_device_event+0x134/0x150 net/netrom/af_netrom.c:126
 notifier_call_chain+0x19f/0x3e0 kernel/notifier.c:93
 call_netdevice_notifiers_extack net/core/dev.c:2032 [inline]
 call_netdevice_notifiers net/core/dev.c:2046 [inline]
 dev_close_many+0x33c/0x4c0 net/core/dev.c:1587
 dev_close+0x1c0/0x2c0 net/core/dev.c:1609
 bpq_device_event+0x372/0x8b0 drivers/net/hamradio/bpqether.c:547
 notifier_call_chain+0x19f/0x3e0 kernel/notifier.c:93
 __dev_notify_flags+0x207/0x400
 dev_change_flags+0xf0/0x1a0 net/core/dev.c:8915
 dev_ifsioc+0x7c8/0xe70 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:527
 dev_ioctl+0x719/0x1340 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:784
 sock_do_ioctl+0x240/0x460 net/socket.c:1236
 sock_ioctl+0x629/0x8e0 net/socket.c:1341
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:907 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0xfc/0x170 fs/ioctl.c:893
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
RIP: 0033:0x7fdcda77def9
Code: ff ff c3 66 2e 0f 1f 84 00 00 00 00 00 0f 1f 40 00 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 a8 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007fdcdb4b4038 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000010
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007fdcda935f80 RCX: 00007fdcda77def9
RDX: 0000000020000700 RSI: 0000000000008914 RDI: 000000000000000b
RBP: 00007fdcda7f09f6 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 0000000000000000 R14: 00007fdcda935f80 R15: 00007ffe2567ade8
 </TASK>

---
This report is generated by a bot. It may contain errors.
See https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ for more information about syzbot.
syzbot engineers can be reached at [email-masked].

syzbot will keep track of this issue. See:
https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status for how to communicate with syzbot.

If the report is already addressed, let syzbot know by replying with:
#syz fix: exact-commit-title

If you want to overwrite report's subsystems, reply with:
#syz set subsystems: new-subsystem
(See the list of subsystem names on the web dashboard)

If the report is a duplicate of another one, reply with:
#syz dup: exact-subject-of-another-report

If you want to undo deduplication, reply with:
#syz undup