Subject: Re: [syzbot] [net?] KMSAN: uninit-value in ethnl_set_linkmodes (2)

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 20:11:48 -0700

syzbot has found a reproducer for the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    81af97bdef5e printk: Export console trace point for kcsan/..
git tree:       https://github.com/google/kmsan.git master
console+strace: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=10d4b844280000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=ee7e125556b25104
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=ef6edd9f1baaa54d6235
compiler:       Debian clang version 15.0.7, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.2
syz repro:      https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=1543bf0c280000
C reproducer:   https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=158f4664280000

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/00b0f311889c/disk-81af97bd.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/a3291e9cce5a/vmlinux-81af97bd.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/09b5e66af8b4/bzImage-81af97bd.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

=====================================================
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in ethnl_update_linkmodes net/ethtool/linkmodes.c:273 [inline]
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in ethnl_set_linkmodes+0x190b/0x19d0 net/ethtool/linkmodes.c:333
 ethnl_update_linkmodes net/ethtool/linkmodes.c:273 [inline]
 ethnl_set_linkmodes+0x190b/0x19d0 net/ethtool/linkmodes.c:333
 ethnl_default_set_doit+0x88d/0xde0 net/ethtool/netlink.c:640
 genl_family_rcv_msg_doit net/netlink/genetlink.c:968 [inline]
 genl_family_rcv_msg net/netlink/genetlink.c:1048 [inline]
 genl_rcv_msg+0x141a/0x14c0 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1065
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x3f8/0x750 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2577
 genl_rcv+0x40/0x60 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1076
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1339 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0xf41/0x1270 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1365
 netlink_sendmsg+0x127d/0x1430 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1942
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:724 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg net/socket.c:747 [inline]
 ____sys_sendmsg+0xa24/0xe40 net/socket.c:2501
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x2a1/0x3f0 net/socket.c:2555
 __sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2584 [inline]
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2593 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2591 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x36b/0x540 net/socket.c:2591
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x41/0xc0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd

Uninit was stored to memory at:
 tun_get_link_ksettings+0x37/0x60 drivers/net/tun.c:3544
 __ethtool_get_link_ksettings+0x17b/0x260 net/ethtool/ioctl.c:441
 ethnl_set_linkmodes+0xee/0x19d0 net/ethtool/linkmodes.c:327
 ethnl_default_set_doit+0x88d/0xde0 net/ethtool/netlink.c:640
 genl_family_rcv_msg_doit net/netlink/genetlink.c:968 [inline]
 genl_family_rcv_msg net/netlink/genetlink.c:1048 [inline]
 genl_rcv_msg+0x141a/0x14c0 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1065
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x3f8/0x750 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2577
 genl_rcv+0x40/0x60 net/netlink/genetlink.c:1076
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1339 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0xf41/0x1270 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1365
 netlink_sendmsg+0x127d/0x1430 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1942
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:724 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg net/socket.c:747 [inline]
 ____sys_sendmsg+0xa24/0xe40 net/socket.c:2501
 ___sys_sendmsg+0x2a1/0x3f0 net/socket.c:2555
 __sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2584 [inline]
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2593 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2591 [inline]
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x36b/0x540 net/socket.c:2591
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x41/0xc0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd

Uninit was stored to memory at:
 tun_set_link_ksettings+0x37/0x60 drivers/net/tun.c:3553
 ethtool_set_link_ksettings+0x600/0x690 net/ethtool/ioctl.c:609
 __dev_ethtool net/ethtool/ioctl.c:3024 [inline]
 dev_ethtool+0x1db9/0x2a70 net/ethtool/ioctl.c:3078
 dev_ioctl+0xb07/0x1270 net/core/dev_ioctl.c:524
 sock_do_ioctl+0x295/0x540 net/socket.c:1213
 sock_ioctl+0x729/0xd90 net/socket.c:1316
 vfs_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:51 [inline]
 __do_sys_ioctl fs/ioctl.c:870 [inline]
 __se_sys_ioctl+0x222/0x400 fs/ioctl.c:856
 __x64_sys_ioctl+0x96/0xe0 fs/ioctl.c:856
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:50 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0x41/0xc0 arch/x86/entry/common.c:80
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x63/0xcd

Local variable link_ksettings created at:
 ethtool_set_link_ksettings+0x54/0x690 net/ethtool/ioctl.c:577
 __dev_ethtool net/ethtool/ioctl.c:3024 [inline]
 dev_ethtool+0x1db9/0x2a70 net/ethtool/ioctl.c:3078

CPU: 1 PID: 4952 Comm: syz-executor743 Not tainted 6.3.0-syzkaller-g81af97bdef5e #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 04/14/2023
=====================================================

---
If you want syzbot to run the reproducer, reply with:
#syz test: git://repo/address.git branch-or-commit-hash
If you attach or paste a git patch, syzbot will apply it before testing.