Subject: KMSAN: uninit-value in strstr

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 11:13:20 -0700

Hello,

syzbot found the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    93f54a72 instrumented.h: fix KMSAN support
git tree:       https://github.com/google/kmsan.git master
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=118c3454900000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=c534a9fad6323722
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=a73d24a22eeeebe5f244
compiler:       clang version 10.0.0 (https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/ c2443155a0fb245c8f17f2c1c72b6ea391e86e81)

Unfortunately, I don't have any reproducer for this issue yet.

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

=====================================================
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in strlen lib/string.c:552 [inline]
BUG: KMSAN: uninit-value in strstr+0xfe/0x2e0 lib/string.c:991
CPU: 0 PID: 11587 Comm: syz-executor.0 Not tainted 5.8.0-rc5-syzkaller #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 01/01/2011
Call Trace:
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:77 [inline]
 dump_stack+0x1df/0x240 lib/dump_stack.c:118
 kmsan_report+0xf7/0x1e0 mm/kmsan/kmsan_report.c:121
 __msan_warning+0x58/0xa0 mm/kmsan/kmsan_instr.c:215
 strlen lib/string.c:552 [inline]
 strstr+0xfe/0x2e0 lib/string.c:991
 tipc_nl_node_reset_link_stats+0x434/0xa90 net/tipc/node.c:2504
 genl_family_rcv_msg_doit net/netlink/genetlink.c:669 [inline]
 genl_family_rcv_msg net/netlink/genetlink.c:714 [inline]
 genl_rcv_msg+0x1592/0x1740 net/netlink/genetlink.c:731
 netlink_rcv_skb+0x451/0x650 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:2469
 genl_rcv+0x63/0x80 net/netlink/genetlink.c:742
 netlink_unicast_kernel net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1303 [inline]
 netlink_unicast+0xf9e/0x1100 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1329
 netlink_sendmsg+0x1246/0x14d0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1918
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:652 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg net/socket.c:672 [inline]
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x1370/0x1400 net/socket.c:2352
 ___sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2406 [inline]
 __sys_sendmsg+0x623/0x750 net/socket.c:2439
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2448 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg+0x97/0xb0 net/socket.c:2446
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x4a/0x70 net/socket.c:2446
 do_syscall_64+0xb0/0x150 arch/x86/entry/common.c:386
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
RIP: 0033:0x45c1f9
Code: Bad RIP value.
RSP: 002b:00007fb2b7c2ec78 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 000000000000002e
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 000000000002ad40 RCX: 000000000045c1f9
RDX: 0000000000000000 RSI: 0000000020000280 RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 000000000078bf40 R08: 0000000000000000 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000000000000 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 000000000078bf0c
R13: 0000000000c9fb6f R14: 00007fb2b7c2f9c0 R15: 000000000078bf0c

Uninit was created at:
 kmsan_save_stack_with_flags mm/kmsan/kmsan.c:144 [inline]
 kmsan_internal_poison_shadow+0x66/0xd0 mm/kmsan/kmsan.c:127
 kmsan_slab_alloc+0x8a/0xe0 mm/kmsan/kmsan_hooks.c:80
 slab_alloc_node mm/slub.c:2839 [inline]
 __kmalloc_node_track_caller+0xb40/0x1200 mm/slub.c:4478
 __kmalloc_reserve net/core/skbuff.c:142 [inline]
 __alloc_skb+0x2fd/0xac0 net/core/skbuff.c:210
 alloc_skb include/linux/skbuff.h:1083 [inline]
 netlink_alloc_large_skb net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1175 [inline]
 netlink_sendmsg+0x7d3/0x14d0 net/netlink/af_netlink.c:1893
 sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:652 [inline]
 sock_sendmsg net/socket.c:672 [inline]
 ____sys_sendmsg+0x1370/0x1400 net/socket.c:2352
 ___sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2406 [inline]
 __sys_sendmsg+0x623/0x750 net/socket.c:2439
 __do_sys_sendmsg net/socket.c:2448 [inline]
 __se_sys_sendmsg+0x97/0xb0 net/socket.c:2446
 __x64_sys_sendmsg+0x4a/0x70 net/socket.c:2446
 do_syscall_64+0xb0/0x150 arch/x86/entry/common.c:386
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x44/0xa9
=====================================================

---
This report is generated by a bot. It may contain errors.
See https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ for more information about syzbot.
syzbot engineers can be reached at [email-masked].

syzbot will keep track of this issue. See:
https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status for how to communicate with syzbot.