Subject: [syzbot] [lvs?] possible deadlock in start_sync_thread

From: syzbot <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 08:27:18 -0700

Hello,

syzbot found the following issue on:

HEAD commit:    3226607302ca selftests: net: change shebang to bash in amt..
git tree:       net-next
console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=12a2683e980000
kernel config:  https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=e78fc116033e0ab7
dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=e929093395ec65f969c7
compiler:       Debian clang version 15.0.6, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.40

Unfortunately, I don't have any reproducer for this issue yet.

Downloadable assets:
disk image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/125c85863435/disk-32266073.raw.xz
vmlinux: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/4477ecab2e1f/vmlinux-32266073.xz
kernel image: https://storage.googleapis.com/syzbot-assets/43e28f6ce879/bzImage-32266073.xz

IMPORTANT: if you fix the issue, please add the following tag to the commit:
Reported-by: [email-masked]

======================================================
WARNING: possible circular locking dependency detected
6.10.0-rc4-syzkaller-00837-g3226607302ca #0 Not tainted
------------------------------------------------------
syz-executor.4/10811 is trying to acquire lock:
ffffffff8f5e6f48 (rtnl_mutex){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: start_sync_thread+0xdc/0x2dc0 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_sync.c:1761

but task is already holding lock:
ffff88805ba95750 (&smc->clcsock_release_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: smc_setsockopt+0x1c3/0xe50 net/smc/af_smc.c:3064

which lock already depends on the new lock.

the existing dependency chain (in reverse order) is:

-> #2 (&smc->clcsock_release_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}:
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
       __mutex_lock_common kernel/locking/mutex.c:608 [inline]
       __mutex_lock+0x136/0xd70 kernel/locking/mutex.c:752
       smc_switch_to_fallback+0x35/0xd00 net/smc/af_smc.c:902
       smc_sendmsg+0x11f/0x530 net/smc/af_smc.c:2779
       sock_sendmsg_nosec net/socket.c:730 [inline]
       __sock_sendmsg+0x221/0x270 net/socket.c:745
       __sys_sendto+0x3a4/0x4f0 net/socket.c:2192
       __do_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2204 [inline]
       __se_sys_sendto net/socket.c:2200 [inline]
       __x64_sys_sendto+0xde/0x100 net/socket.c:2200
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

-> #1 (sk_lock-AF_INET){+.+.}-{0:0}:
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
       lock_sock_nested+0x48/0x100 net/core/sock.c:3543
       do_ip_setsockopt+0x1a2d/0x3cd0 net/ipv4/ip_sockglue.c:1078
       ip_setsockopt+0x63/0x100 net/ipv4/ip_sockglue.c:1417
       do_sock_setsockopt+0x3af/0x720 net/socket.c:2312
       __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2335
       __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2344 [inline]
       __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2341 [inline]
       __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2341
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

-> #0 (rtnl_mutex){+.+.}-{3:3}:
       check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3134 [inline]
       check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3253 [inline]
       validate_chain+0x18e0/0x5900 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3869
       __lock_acquire+0x1346/0x1fd0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5137
       lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
       __mutex_lock_common kernel/locking/mutex.c:608 [inline]
       __mutex_lock+0x136/0xd70 kernel/locking/mutex.c:752
       start_sync_thread+0xdc/0x2dc0 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_sync.c:1761
       do_ip_vs_set_ctl+0x442/0x13d0 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_ctl.c:2732
       nf_setsockopt+0x295/0x2c0 net/netfilter/nf_sockopt.c:101
       smc_setsockopt+0x275/0xe50 net/smc/af_smc.c:3072
       do_sock_setsockopt+0x3af/0x720 net/socket.c:2312
       __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2335
       __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2344 [inline]
       __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2341 [inline]
       __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2341
       do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
       do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
       entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f

other info that might help us debug this:

Chain exists of:
  rtnl_mutex --> sk_lock-AF_INET --> &smc->clcsock_release_lock

 Possible unsafe locking scenario:

       CPU0                    CPU1
       ----                    ----
  lock(&smc->clcsock_release_lock);
                               lock(sk_lock-AF_INET);
                               lock(&smc->clcsock_release_lock);
  lock(rtnl_mutex);

 *** DEADLOCK ***

1 lock held by syz-executor.4/10811:
 #0: ffff88805ba95750 (&smc->clcsock_release_lock){+.+.}-{3:3}, at: smc_setsockopt+0x1c3/0xe50 net/smc/af_smc.c:3064

stack backtrace:
CPU: 0 PID: 10811 Comm: syz-executor.4 Not tainted 6.10.0-rc4-syzkaller-00837-g3226607302ca #0
Hardware name: Google Google Compute Engine/Google Compute Engine, BIOS Google 06/07/2024
Call Trace:
 <TASK>
 __dump_stack lib/dump_stack.c:88 [inline]
 dump_stack_lvl+0x241/0x360 lib/dump_stack.c:114
 check_noncircular+0x36a/0x4a0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:2187
 check_prev_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3134 [inline]
 check_prevs_add kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3253 [inline]
 validate_chain+0x18e0/0x5900 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:3869
 __lock_acquire+0x1346/0x1fd0 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5137
 lock_acquire+0x1ed/0x550 kernel/locking/lockdep.c:5754
 __mutex_lock_common kernel/locking/mutex.c:608 [inline]
 __mutex_lock+0x136/0xd70 kernel/locking/mutex.c:752
 start_sync_thread+0xdc/0x2dc0 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_sync.c:1761
 do_ip_vs_set_ctl+0x442/0x13d0 net/netfilter/ipvs/ip_vs_ctl.c:2732
 nf_setsockopt+0x295/0x2c0 net/netfilter/nf_sockopt.c:101
 smc_setsockopt+0x275/0xe50 net/smc/af_smc.c:3072
 do_sock_setsockopt+0x3af/0x720 net/socket.c:2312
 __sys_setsockopt+0x1ae/0x250 net/socket.c:2335
 __do_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2344 [inline]
 __se_sys_setsockopt net/socket.c:2341 [inline]
 __x64_sys_setsockopt+0xb5/0xd0 net/socket.c:2341
 do_syscall_x64 arch/x86/entry/common.c:52 [inline]
 do_syscall_64+0xf3/0x230 arch/x86/entry/common.c:83
 entry_SYSCALL_64_after_hwframe+0x77/0x7f
RIP: 0033:0x7f42d8a7d0a9
Code: 28 00 00 00 75 05 48 83 c4 28 c3 e8 e1 20 00 00 90 48 89 f8 48 89 f7 48 89 d6 48 89 ca 4d 89 c2 4d 89 c8 4c 8b 4c 24 08 0f 05 <48> 3d 01 f0 ff ff 73 01 c3 48 c7 c1 b0 ff ff ff f7 d8 64 89 01 48
RSP: 002b:00007f42d98870c8 EFLAGS: 00000246 ORIG_RAX: 0000000000000036
RAX: ffffffffffffffda RBX: 00007f42d8bb3f80 RCX: 00007f42d8a7d0a9
RDX: 000000000000048b RSI: 0000000000000000 RDI: 0000000000000003
RBP: 00007f42d8aec074 R08: 0000000000000018 R09: 0000000000000000
R10: 0000000020000200 R11: 0000000000000246 R12: 0000000000000000
R13: 000000000000000b R14: 00007f42d8bb3f80 R15: 00007ffde628d3a8
 </TASK>

---
This report is generated by a bot. It may contain errors.
See https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ for more information about syzbot.
syzbot engineers can be reached at [email-masked].

syzbot will keep track of this issue. See:
https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#status for how to communicate with syzbot.

If the report is already addressed, let syzbot know by replying with:
#syz fix: exact-commit-title

If you want to overwrite report's subsystems, reply with:
#syz set subsystems: new-subsystem
(See the list of subsystem names on the web dashboard)

If the report is a duplicate of another one, reply with:
#syz dup: exact-subject-of-another-report

If you want to undo deduplication, reply with:
#syz undup