Subject: RE: [RFC net-next v01 1/1] net: hinic3: Add a driver for Huawei 3rd gen NIC

From: Gur Stavi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2024 14:29:27 +0200

> On Wed, 30 Oct 2024 14:25:47 +0200 Gur Stavi wrote:
> >  50 files changed, 18058 insertions(+)
> 
> 4kLoC is the right ballpark to target for the initial submission.
> Please cut this down and submit a minimal driver, then add the
> features.

Ack.
There is indeed code which is not critical to basic Ethernet functionality
that can be postponed to later.

Our HW management infrastructure is rather large and contains 2 separate
mechanisms (cmdq+mbox). While I hope we can trim the driver to a VF-only
version with no ethtool support that will fit the 10KLoC ballpark, the 4KLoC
goal is probably unrealistic for a functional driver.

Is it valid to submit a non-functional kernel module and make it functional
with follow-up submissions? For example:
Submission 1: TX+RX logic
Submission 2: Device management infrastructure
Submission 3: PCI device registration and netdev creation

Some initial submission cases we studied before our submission:

Amazon/ena: 10858 insertions
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/1470827002-23081-1-git-send-email-netanel@ann
apurnalabs.com/

Microsoft/mana: 6168 insertions
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Huawei/hinic: 12728 insertions
https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]
m/