Subject: RE: [PATCH net-next 2/3] net: txgbe: optimize the flow to setup PHY for AML devices

From: Jiawen Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2025 09:53:39 +0800

On Fri, Oct 10, 2025 9:52 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2025 at 03:48:57PM +0800, Jiawen Wu wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2025 9:40 AM, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> > > On Sun, 28 Sep 2025 17:39:22 +0800 Jiawen Wu wrote:
> > > > To adapt to new firmware for AML devices, the driver should send the
> > > > "SET_LINK_CMD" to the firmware only once when switching PHY interface
> > > > mode. And the unknown link speed is permitted in the mailbox buffer. The
> > > > firmware will configure the PHY completely when the conditions are met.
> > >
> > > Could you mention what the TXGBE_GPIOBIT_3 does, since you're removing
> > > it all over the place?
> >
> > Okay. It is used for RX signal, which indicate that PHY should be re-configured.
> > Now we remove it from the driver, let the firmware to configure PHY completely.
> 
> Does this rely on new firmware? Or has the firmware always configured
> the PHY, and then the driver reconfigures it?

Driver does not configure PHY, it just send the command to firmware when
switching PHY interface. For the old firmware,  the PHY is configured only when
"SET_LINK_CMD" is received. But the PHY would not be completely configured if RX
signal lost. So the driver will send the command when TXGBE_GPIOBIT_3 interrupt
occurs. For the new firmware, it will automatically configure PHY when RX signal
arrives.