Subject: RE: [PATCH 3/7] net: dsa: ar8xxx: add regmap support

From: "Mathieu Olivari" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 10:36:49 -0700

Alternatively, we could have something similar to what happens for the phy
in the wireless subsystems. Wireless PHYs are not registered as net_device
but they can still be listed, queried or configured through netlink.
Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks,
Mathieu

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Lunn [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:44 PM
To: Florian Fainelli
Cc: Mathieu Olivari; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
davem-fT/PcQaiUtIeIZ0/[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; leitec-z4FmpzNVuK5Wk0Htik3J/[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/7] net: dsa: ar8xxx: add regmap support

> Fair enough, are there other global "things" besides counters that 
> could deserve adding maybe some sort of global/master net_device to 
> help query switch-wide information?

This was discussed a while back. I like the current abstraction, all
interfaces are real interfaces you can send and receive packets over. This
pseudo interface cannot be used for packet transfer, which seems odd.

Having access to registers for debugging, so debugfs seems like the best
option to me.

     Andrew

--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe devicetree" in
the body of a message to [email-masked]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html