Subject: r8169: issues with RTL8125BG on Raspberry Pi 5 + OpenWrt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 17:00:56 +0200

Hello all,

I'm having some issues with r8169 on a Raspberry Pi 5 running OpenWrt
(kernel v6.6.34) + RTL8125BG (MCUZone MP2.5G).

As you can see in the following logs, it crashes with " transmit queue 0
timed out".
It works perfectly fine for about less than 1 minute and then it crashes.
The crash appearance can be sped up by running a speed test or anything that
increases the network load.

Maybe it's a HW issue since the official r8125 driver crashes too...

In the following links you can find the logs from the different tests that I
carried out with both r8169 and r8125 drivers.

1. OpenWrt + kernel v6.6.34 + r8169 + ASPM Disabled
https://gist.github.com/Noltari/b56128eee8e75b57437a860c7c6b8bd5#file-openwr
t-6-6-r8169-aspm-disabled-txt

2. OpenWrt + kernel v6.6.34 + r8169 + ASPM Enabled
https://gist.github.com/Noltari/b56128eee8e75b57437a860c7c6b8bd5#file-openwr
t-6-6-r8169-aspm-enabled-txt

3. OpenWrt + kernel v6.6.34 + r8125 v9.012.04
https://gist.github.com/Noltari/b56128eee8e75b57437a860c7c6b8bd5#file-openwr
t-6-6-r8125-9-012-04-txt

4. OpenWrt + kernel v6.6.34 + r8125 v9.013.02
https://gist.github.com/Noltari/b56128eee8e75b57437a860c7c6b8bd5#file-openwr
t-6-6-r8125-9-013-02-txt

BTW, the same device (RPi 5) is running perfectly fine with a USB3 ethernet
adapter (RTL8165B + r8152 driver).

I've ordered another board based on the RTL8111H so I can check if that
works with r8169 or not.
https://www.waveshare.com/pcie-to-gigabit-eth-board-c.htm

Best regards,
Álvaro.