Subject: Re: Qualcomm rmnet driver and qmi_wwan

From: Subash Abhinov Kasiviswanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 17:00:20 -0600

> both patches work properly for me.
> 
> Maybe it could be helpful in the first patch to add a print when
> pass-through setting fails if raw-ip has not been set, just to let the
> user know what is happening.
> 

Thanks for testing Daniele.
I can add an error message there when pass through mode setting fails.
Will you be submitting the patch for iproute2. Otherwise, I can do so
a bit later.

> Maybe rmnet_is_real_dev_registered(dev->net) instead, since we use that
> elsewhere in this function?
> 
> Like Daniele said: It would be good to have some way to know when the
> rawip condition fails.  Or even better: Automatically force rawip mode
> when the rmnet driver attaches.  But that doesn't seem possible?  No
> notifications or anything when an rx handler is registered?
> 
> Hmm, looking at this I wonder: Is the rawip check really necessary?  
> You
> skip all the extra rawip code in the driver anyway, so I don't see how
> it matters.  But maybe the ethernet header_ops are a problem?
> 
> And I wonder about using skb->dev here.  Does that really work?  I
> didn't think we set that until later.  Why not use dev->net instead?
> 
> 

Hi Bjørn

Yes, I will switch to using dev->net.
There doesnt seem to be a net device notifier event when the rx 
registration
happens.

If the dev type is ethernet, rmnet driver will try to remove the first 
14
bytes since it assumes an ethernet header is present in the packet. 
Hence the
need for raw ip mode in qmi_wwan.

-- 
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project